forum stepTV stepSTALKER sweatshop email Home

Go Back   The Drunken stepFORUM - A place to discuss your worthless opinions > General Discussion: > I am - stepPOLLS

View Poll Results: How do you feel about musicians licensing their music in films, tv and commercials?
1. It's "selling out" and when it happens, that artist is dead to me 0 0%
2. I don't hate the artists that do it but i do lose respect for them. 2 4.35%
3. I understand it... but i don't especially like it. 15 32.61%
4. If they get paid, why not do it? 11 23.91%
5. I'm glad when an artist that i like can make some extra money 7 15.22%
6. I don't care either way. 12 26.09%
7. I'm just retarded. 3 6.52%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 46. You may not vote on this poll

Old 03-11-2009, 03:22 PM
satan666

Credits: 0 [Check]
Default Musicians "selling out" by licensing their music

This could be in the music discussion section but i felt it would get more traction if posted here...
I got the idea from a story about Billy Corgan's change of heart regarding the licensing of his music. You can watch that HERE.

How do you feel about musicians licensing their music in films, television and commercial advertisements?

It has been done by so many artists to sell everything under the sun. So does it make you cringe to hear music that you like in the latest taco bell commercial?

1. It's "selling out" and when it happens, that artist is dead to me. I'll never buy another CD or go to another show.

2. I don't hate the artists that do it but i do lose respect for them.

3. I understand it... but i don't especially like it.

4. If they get paid, why not do it?

5. I'm glad when an artist that i like can make some extra money by selling a song for a tv commercial.

6. I don't care either way.

7. I'm just retarded.
Old 03-11-2009, 03:35 PM
Bam Bam is hittin that! imgbox

Credits: 212,220
Bam-Bam is the Mack Daddy of reputation.Bam-Bam is the Mack Daddy of reputation.Bam-Bam is the Mack Daddy of reputation.Bam-Bam is the Mack Daddy of reputation.Bam-Bam is the Mack Daddy of reputation.Bam-Bam is the Mack Daddy of reputation.Bam-Bam is the Mack Daddy of reputation.Bam-Bam is the Mack Daddy of reputation.Bam-Bam is the Mack Daddy of reputation.Bam-Bam is the Mack Daddy of reputation.
Bam-Bam is the Mack Daddy of reputation.Bam-Bam is the Mack Daddy of reputation.Bam-Bam is the Mack Daddy of reputation.Bam-Bam is the Mack Daddy of reputation.Bam-Bam is the Mack Daddy of reputation.Bam-Bam is the Mack Daddy of reputation.Bam-Bam is the Mack Daddy of reputation.Bam-Bam is the Mack Daddy of reputation.Bam-Bam is the Mack Daddy of reputation.Bam-Bam is the Mack Daddy of reputation.Bam-Bam is the Mack Daddy of reputation.Bam-Bam is the Mack Daddy of reputation.

It's their music, let them do what they want with it.

Old 03-11-2009, 03:42 PM
Take me out to the ballgame! ...and pass the joint

Credits: 5,084
BleacherCreature420 is starting to gain some momentum on DSF

hear "today" by the smashing pumpkins, a song i grew up with, on an ad for an Amex.........i almost broke my tv...........it really bothered me

sometimes is pisses me off more than other times........song/artist dependent i guess
Old 03-11-2009, 03:45 PM
Take me out to the ballgame! ...and pass the joint

Credits: 5,084
BleacherCreature420 is starting to gain some momentum on DSF

^^^^^^^^

if i scrolled down 5 more on the main page, Satan has already made a post about this exact SP incident, and wow that quote from '04 drives it home. I am guessing that is why you started this thread? I stand firm at choice 3
Old 03-11-2009, 05:33 PM
Cooler than a polar bear's toenails

Credits: 9,817
tlock is starting to gain some momentum on DSF

Code:
Content, Pictures  and Download links visible to registered users only. 

REGISTER NOW to access all areas that are invisible to non-members.
agreed, but i think they can over commercialize their songs/music.

Originally Posted by badmedicine09
I've been avoiding results all day. tlock, you are a God amongst men, thank you.

All of my posts are not my links...
Old 03-12-2009, 07:02 AM
Granny pr0n poster extraordinaire

Credits: 16,863
thermos will become famous soon enoughthermos will become famous soon enough

fascinating topic.....I voted #3.

my knee-jerk reaction is like bleach's....I remember the Led Zep/Cadillac commercials (I think?) and I wanted to do an angry misty mountain hop on the gigantic hood of my neighbor's seville for weeks.

but....I can't begrudge getting paper. I mean, I bitch at professional athelete's salaries too....but at EVERY annual review at my work....I lie about about my accomplishments and whine for more $$$ too.

It's easy to be a music lover and romanticize the importance/value/meaning of songs.....but they don't belong to us.
Old 03-13-2009, 12:16 PM
Leading the heard to the local titty bar.

Credits: 42,256
troup will become famous soon enoughtroup will become famous soon enoughtroup will become famous soon enough

I like it when they find some obscure little band and give the band probably the best marketing coverage they could dream of. But when its an already developed band who are a brand in their own right it feels dirty.
Old 03-13-2009, 12:39 PM
i have seen a vagina, and it was expensive

Credits: 25,266
skywalker is a glorious beacon of lightskywalker is a glorious beacon of lightskywalker is a glorious beacon of lightskywalker is a glorious beacon of lightskywalker is a glorious beacon of lightskywalker is a glorious beacon of lightskywalker is a glorious beacon of lightskywalker is a glorious beacon of light

Code:
Content, Pictures  and Download links visible to registered users only. 

REGISTER NOW to access all areas that are invisible to non-members.
I agree.
If Led Zeppelin doesn't care if there song is in a Cadillac commercial then neither do I.
Besides with more and more people like us downloading music for free they gotta get paid somehow. I say take it when you can get it.
I don't understand why it bothers people.
Old 03-13-2009, 11:39 PM
i know more than you and i knew it before you did

Credits: 4,020
strommsarnac is teaching others the way of the Post Warriorstrommsarnac is teaching others the way of the Post Warrior
strommsarnac is teaching others the way of the Post Warriorstrommsarnac is teaching others the way of the Post Warriorstrommsarnac is teaching others the way of the Post Warriorstrommsarnac is teaching others the way of the Post Warriorstrommsarnac is teaching others the way of the Post Warriorstrommsarnac is teaching others the way of the Post Warriorstrommsarnac is teaching others the way of the Post Warriorstrommsarnac is teaching others the way of the Post Warriorstrommsarnac is teaching others the way of the Post Warriorstrommsarnac is teaching others the way of the Post Warriorstrommsarnac is teaching others the way of the Post Warriorstrommsarnac is teaching others the way of the Post Warriorstrommsarnac is teaching others the way of the Post Warriorstrommsarnac is teaching others the way of the Post Warrior

Isn't most of that because the studio still has the rights and not the musician themselves?
Old 03-14-2009, 12:59 AM
jesus is my homeboy

Credits: 29,917
serafina has disabled reputation

I can't fault the fools for wanting as much money as they can get their hands on. Fuck legitimacy.