forum stepTV stepSTALKER sweatshop email Home

Go Back   The Drunken stepFORUM - A place to discuss your worthless opinions > General Discussion: > I am - Getting Drunk & Molesting You

Old 05-19-2019, 11:17 AM
Almost Interesting...

MadamMeow is the ultimate authority on all that is reputable.MadamMeow is the ultimate authority on all that is reputable.MadamMeow is the ultimate authority on all that is reputable.MadamMeow is the ultimate authority on all that is reputable.MadamMeow is the ultimate authority on all that is reputable.MadamMeow is the ultimate authority on all that is reputable.MadamMeow is the ultimate authority on all that is reputable.
MadamMeow is the ultimate authority on all that is reputable.MadamMeow is the ultimate authority on all that is reputable.MadamMeow is the ultimate authority on all that is reputable.MadamMeow is the ultimate authority on all that is reputable.MadamMeow is the ultimate authority on all that is reputable.MadamMeow is the ultimate authority on all that is reputable.MadamMeow is the ultimate authority on all that is reputable.MadamMeow is the ultimate authority on all that is reputable.MadamMeow is the ultimate authority on all that is reputable.MadamMeow is the ultimate authority on all that is reputable.MadamMeow is the ultimate authority on all that is reputable.MadamMeow is the ultimate authority on all that is reputable.

I surprisingly never got on the Grumpy Cat bandwagon, but that still sucks. That cat was quite young.

Oh my there is a lot of tits & ass on movies & TV.
Trampy Internet Girls...what more do you need!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JesusMartinez View Post
MadamMeow2 for president....
Old 06-26-2019, 01:25 PM
If you need me I'll just be circling the maternity ward, listening for screams with my glass ready in hand.

Credits: 1,255,844
Frothy Afterbirth just keeps going & going & going.Frothy Afterbirth just keeps going & going & going.Frothy Afterbirth just keeps going & going & going.Frothy Afterbirth just keeps going & going & going.Frothy Afterbirth just keeps going & going & going.Frothy Afterbirth just keeps going & going & going.Frothy Afterbirth just keeps going & going & going.Frothy Afterbirth just keeps going & going & going.Frothy Afterbirth just keeps going & going & going.Frothy Afterbirth just keeps going & going & going.Frothy Afterbirth just keeps going & going & going.Frothy Afterbirth just keeps going & going & going.Frothy Afterbirth just keeps going & going & going.Frothy Afterbirth just keeps going & going & going.Frothy Afterbirth just keeps going & going & going.
Frothy Afterbirth just keeps going & going & going.Frothy Afterbirth just keeps going & going & going.Frothy Afterbirth just keeps going & going & going.Frothy Afterbirth just keeps going & going & going.Frothy Afterbirth just keeps going & going & going.Frothy Afterbirth just keeps going & going & going.Frothy Afterbirth just keeps going & going & going.Frothy Afterbirth just keeps going & going & going.Frothy Afterbirth just keeps going & going & going.Frothy Afterbirth just keeps going & going & going.Frothy Afterbirth just keeps going & going & going.Frothy Afterbirth just keeps going & going & going.Frothy Afterbirth just keeps going & going & going.Frothy Afterbirth just keeps going & going & going.Frothy Afterbirth just keeps going & going & going.

Dog the Bounty Hunter says wife Beth died after long cancer battle

HONOLULU (KKTV) - Reality TV star Beth Chapman has passed away after a fight with cancer, her husband Duane "Dog" Chapman confirmed through a tweet.

"It’s 5:32 in Hawaii, this is the time she would wake up to go hike Koko Head mountain. Only today, she hiked the stairway to heaven. We all love you, Beth. See you on the other side."

8:54 AM - Jun 26, 2019

Beth Chapman battled throat cancer for years, even undergoing a successful surgery in 2017. Last year, she was told her cancer had returned.

Over the weekend, she was admitted to the ICU at the Queen's Medical Center in Honolulu. Her family announced she had been placed in a medically-induced coma and told fans they were thankful for their prayers "throughout Beth’s battle with cancer."

The Chapman family is known for their bounty hunting and bail bonds business, which was featured on the hit A&E show, “Dog the Bounty Hunter.” The series took place in Hawaii and in Colorado, where Duane Chapman is from and the couple still owns a home.

Code:
Content, Pictures  and Download links visible to registered users only. 

REGISTER NOW to access all areas that are invisible to non-members.
Old 06-27-2019, 03:12 AM
If you need me I'll just be circling the maternity ward, listening for screams with my glass ready in hand.

Billy Drago, ‘Untouchables’ Star, Dies at 73
Pat Saperstein
June 26, 2019 4:36PM PDT
Variety

Billy Drago, who appeared in Brian De Palma’s “The Untouchables” and Clint Eastwood’s “Pale Rider,” died Monday in Los Angeles of complications from a stroke. He was 73.

Drago started acting in the late 1970s, appearing in films including “Cutter’s Way,” “No Other Love” and “Windwalker.” On television, he had guest roles in “Hill Street Blues,” “Moonlighting,” “Walker Texas Ranger” and “Trapper John, M.D.”

In De Palma’s 1987 “The Untouchables,” he played Al Capone’s henchman Frank Nitti.

He went on to appear in on TV shows including “The X-Files” and “Charmed,” in which he played the demon Barbas in several episodes over five seasons.

Drago also appeared in Michael Jackson’s “You Rock My World” music video in 2001.

His later film roles included Gregg Araki’s “Mysterious Skin,” “The Hills Have Eyes” remake and “Children of the Corn: Genesis.

Billy Drago, who often played harming but chilling gangster roles and appeared in Brian De Palma’s “The Untouchables” and Clint Eastwood’s “Pale Rider,” died Monday in Los Angeles of complications from a stroke. He was 73.

The character actor played Al Capone’s henchman Frank Nitti in 1987’s “The Untouchables.”

On TV series “Charmed,” he put his reptilian stare to good use as the demon Barbas in several episodes over five seasons.

Born William Eugene Burrows in Hugoton, Kan., his actor-director father was said to be of Native American origin. His mother’s family was of Romany extraction; he took their name Drago as his stage name. Starting out as a stuntman, he moved to New York and beginning his acting career.

Drago started acting in the late 1970s, appearing in films including “Cutter’s Way,” “No Other Love” and “Windwalker.” On television, he had guest roles in “Hill Street Blues,” “Moonlighting,” “Walker Texas Ranger,” “Trapper John, M.D.” and “The X-Files.”

Appearing in more than 100 films, he had roles in three Chuck Norris films including “Invasion U.S.A.,” “Hero and the Terror” and “Delta Force 2: The Colombian Connection” as drug lord Ramon Cota.

Drago also appeared in Michael Jackson’s “You Rock My World” music video in 2001 and as the mysterious stranger in Mike and the Mechanics’ “Silent Running (on Dangerous Ground).”

His later film roles included Gregg Araki’s “Mysterious Skin,” “The Hills Have Eyes” remake and “Children of the Corn: Genesis.”

Drago’s son Darren E. Burrows, who survives him, has appeared on TV shows including “Northern Exposure.”

Code:

One of my favorite actors. RIP
Old 07-12-2019, 12:38 AM

Rip Torn, actor best known for 'Men in Black' and 'The Larry Sanders Show,' dies at 88
By Megan Thomas and Hollie Silverman, CNN
Updated 9:53 AM ET, Wed July 10, 2019

(CNN)Rip Torn, an Emmy Award-winning actor who starred in "Men in Black" and HBO's "The Larry Sanders Show," has died, according to his publicist Rick Miramontez. He was 88.

Torn died Tuesday at his home in Lakeville, Connecticut with his family by his side, Miramontez said.

The actor had a seven-decade career in film, television and theater, with nearly 200 credits to his name.

Actor Rip Torn poses backstage during the Texas Film Hall of Fame Awards at Austin Studios on March 10, 2011 in Austin, Texas.

His secret weapon was to "Play drama as comedy and comedy as drama," Miramontez recalled the star once saying.

Torn appeared on Broadway 10 times, making his debut in Tennessee Williams' "Sweet Bird of Youth" in 1959. He earned a Tony Award nomination in 1960 for his performance. He also received an Academy

Award nomination for best supporting actor for his role as Marsh Turner in the 1983 film "Cross Creek."

Perhaps his most memorable role was as producer Artie on HBO's "The Larry Sanders Show," which earned him six consecutive Emmy nominations and a win for best supporting actor in a comedy series.

Following his success on the show, Torn was cast in several movies including 1997's "Men in Black," starring opposite Will Smith who posted a tribute to the fallen star Tuesday.

Torn is survived by six children, four grandchildren, his wife, Amy Wright, and sister Patricia Alexander.

Code:

Old 07-24-2019, 04:06 PM

Rutger Hauer, ‘Blade Runner’ Co-Star, Dies at 75
By CHRIS MORRIS

REX/SHUTTERSTOCK

Rutger Hauer, the versatile Dutch leading man of the ’70s who went on star in the 1982 “Blade Runner” as Roy Batty, died July 19 at his home in the Netherlands after a short illness. He was 75.

Hauer’s agent, Steve Kenis, confirmed the news and said that Hauer’s funeral was held Wednesday.

His most cherished performance came in a film that was a resounding flop on its original release. In 1982, he portrayed the murderous yet soulful Roy Batty, leader of a gang of outlaw replicants, opposite Harrison Ford in Ridley Scott’s sci-fi noir opus “Blade Runner.” The picture became a widely influential cult favorite, and Batty proved to be Hauer’s most indelible role.

More recently, he appeared in a pair of 2005 films: as Cardinal Roark in “Sin City,” and as the corporate villain who Bruce Wayne discovers is running the Wayne Corp. in Christopher Nolan’s “Batman Begins.”

In “True Blood,” he played Niall Brigant, the king of the tribe from which the Stackhouse family is descended and the faerie grandfather to Sookie, Jason Stackhouse and Hunter Savoy. Hauer also recurred on ABC’s medieval musical comedy “Galavant” as Kingsley in 2015.

He was a natural at horror and vampire roles, starring as Van Helsing in Dario Argento’s “Dracula 3D,” and as the vampire Barlow in the 2004 miniseries adaptation of Stephen King’s “Salem’s Lot” along with Rob Lowe, Andre Braugher and Donald Sutherland.

Handsome, energetic and fluent in several languages, Hauer made his first mark in the late ‘60s in the Netherlands as the star of Paul Verhoeven’s medieval TV series “Floris.” He vaulted to the top ranks of Dutch stardom in 1973 opposite Monique van de Ven in Verhoeven’s sexually explosive drama “Turkish Delight,” which became a box-office smash and garnered an Oscar nod as best foreign film.

After three more Dutch features with Verhoeven that became art-house successes in the U.S., Hauer segued to a Hollywood career with a flashy role as a terrorist in the 1981 Sylvester Stallone thriller “Nighthawks.”

Hauer increasingly turned to action-oriented parts in the ‘80s: He toplined the big-budget fantasy “Ladyhawke” (1985), reteamed with fellow Hollywood transplant Verhoeven in the sword-and-armor epic “Flesh & Blood” (1985), starred as a psychotic killer in “The Hitcher” (1986), and took Steve McQueen’s shotgun-toting bounty hunter role in a modern reboot of the TV Western “Wanted: Dead or Alive” (1986).

His major artistic triumph came in Ermanno Olmi’s Italian production “The Legend of the Holy Drinker” (1988); his sensitive turn as a homeless drunk and petty criminal who finds redemption in Paris carried the feature, which collected the Golden Lion at the Venice Film Festival.

During the ‘90s, Hauer gravitated to more routine roles in American and international productions and played the vampire lord Lothos in the original film version of “Buffy the Vampire Slayer.”

He debuted as a small screen star as Nazi official Albert Speer in the 1982 telefilm adaptation of Speer’s book “Inside the Third Reich.” His most admired TV work came in projects that turned on World War II themes: He received Golden Globe nominations for his performances as the leader of a concentration camp revolt in “Escape From Sobibor” (1987) and an SS officer in the alternate-universe drama “Fatherland” (1994).

He was born Jan. 23, 1944, in Breukelen, the Netherlands, near Amsterdam. Though both his parents were acting teachers, he took a circuitous route to the craft. He ran away from home at 15 to join the Dutch merchant navy; after returning to Amsterdam in 1962 he briefly studied acting, but exited school again for a stint in the army.

Finally committing himself to the stage, he became a member of the touring experimental troupe Noorder Compagnie, in which he acted, directed and served as costume designer and translator for several years.

His major break came in 1969 when Verhoeven cast him in the title role of “Floris,” an Ivanhoe-like knight who becomes embroiled in court intrigue upon his return from the Crusades. The show proved wildly popular, and Hauer reprised the part in a 1975 revival of the series, “Floris von Rosemund.”

By that time, the steamy, affecting “Turkish Delight” had firmly established him as the Netherlands’ top B.O. attraction. He reunited with Verhoeven and his co-star van de Ven for the period drama “Katie Tippel” (1975); he renewed his collaboration with the director with the World War II saga “Soldier of Orange” (1977) and the bold contemporary drama “Spetters” (1980).

Hauer made an almost immediate and intense impression as Batty in his sophomore American feature “Blade Runner,” an adaptation of Philip K. Dick’s “Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep?” He wrote his own dialog for the film’s climactic face-off with his adversary Ford. Though the film swiftly fell off screens, it remains a genre landmark today, in no small measure because of Hauer’s electrifying performance.

Olmi’s “The Legend of the Holy Drinker” brought him possibly the best notices of his career, but it failed to attract great attention beyond art-house audiences, and Hauer soon became a familiar and prolific supporting player in a variety of genre pictures, several of which went direct to home video. He shot seven features in 2001 alone.

He was active in social causes as an outspoken sponsor of the environmental organization Greenpeace and the founder the Starfish Association, a non-profit devoted to AIDS awareness.

He is survived by his second wife of 50 years, Ineke ten Cate, and a daughter, actress Aysha Hauer, from his marriage to Heidi Merz.

— Carmel Dagan contributed to this report

Code:

Old 07-24-2019, 04:34 PM
After our final tests, this new destructive force will be available to those who can pay... and they will!

Credits: 50,446
drchin can't stop predicting to the shindig.drchin can't stop predicting to the shindig.drchin can't stop predicting to the shindig.drchin can't stop predicting to the shindig.drchin can't stop predicting to the shindig.drchin can't stop predicting to the shindig.drchin can't stop predicting to the shindig.drchin can't stop predicting to the shindig.drchin can't stop predicting to the shindig.drchin can't stop predicting to the shindig.drchin can't stop predicting to the shindig.drchin can't stop predicting to the shindig.drchin can't stop predicting to the shindig.drchin can't stop predicting to the shindig.drchin can't stop predicting to the shindig.
drchin can't stop predicting to the shindig.drchin can't stop predicting to the shindig.drchin can't stop predicting to the shindig.drchin can't stop predicting to the shindig.drchin can't stop predicting to the shindig.drchin can't stop predicting to the shindig.drchin can't stop predicting to the shindig.drchin can't stop predicting to the shindig.drchin can't stop predicting to the shindig.drchin can't stop predicting to the shindig.drchin can't stop predicting to the shindig.drchin can't stop predicting to the shindig.drchin can't stop predicting to the shindig.drchin can't stop predicting to the shindig.drchin can't stop predicting to the shindig.

This one makes me sad. I've always liked Hauer as an actor, even in the low budget crap he looked like he made an effort to do quality work

Quote:
Originally Posted by josehl View Post
Never heard of him.

I'm serious. Not even trolling. First I've seen that name...

Last edited by drchin : 07-24-2019 at 04:34 PM.
Old 08-17-2019, 11:03 AM

Peter Fonda, star of 'Easy Rider,' dies at age 79
By Chelsea J. Carter and Sarah Moon, CNN

Updated at 3:00 AM ET, Sat August 17, 2019

(CNN) — Actor and director Peter Fonda, who stepped out of his legendary Hollywood father's shadow to become a counterculture icon with his role in "Easy Rider," has died. He was 79.

Fonda died of respiratory failure due to lung cancer at his Los Angeles home, his family said in a statement Friday.

"It is with deep sorrow that we share the news that Peter Fonda has passed away," the family said. "... In one of the saddest moments of our lives, we are not able to find the appropriate words to express the pain in our hearts."

As the son of actor Henry Fonda and the brother of actress and activist Jane Fonda, he was a member of the Hollywood powerhouse family. His daughter is actress Bridget Fonda.
Dennis Hopper and Peter Fonda in a scene from the classic "Easy Rider."
Dennis Hopper and Peter Fonda in a scene from the classic "Easy Rider."
In a statement, Jane Fonda said she spent her younger brother's final days with him.

"I am very sad. He was my sweet-hearted baby brother. The talker of the family. I have had beautiful alone time with him these last days. He went out laughing," she said.

Fonda broke out as a star with his turn in the 1969 blockbuster "Easy Rider," which marked its 50th anniversary this year. The film also starred Jack Nicholson and Dennis Hopper.

Film critic Roger Ebert called the film "one of the rallying-points of the late '60s," saying it was a buddy picture that celebrated "sex, drugs, rock 'n' roll, and the freedom of the open road."
"It did a lot of repeat business while the sweet smell of pot drifted through theaters," Ebert wrote of the film in 2004.
Fonda was nominated for an Academy Award for the screenplay, a nomination he shared with Hopper.

"I never stopped working, thanks to 'Easy Rider,' " Fonda told The Los Angeles Times in 2007.

His last tweet on August 9 referenced the film: "Easy Rider' at 50: How they put together that groundbreaking soundtrack."

The family asked for privacy to grieve, but said they wished for people to "celebrate his indomitable spirit and love of life"

Peter Fonda was nominated for two Academy Awards.

"In honor of Peter, please raise a glass to freedom," the family said.
Freedom was a word Fonda often invoked.

"I believe that one is only truly free when one is learning, and one can only learn when one is free. Freedom is NOT just another word for 'nothing left to lose,'" Fonda said on his website.

Directors, writers, actors and fans took to social media to mourn Fonda.

"RIP Peter Fonda, counter culture legend, groundbreaking actor and all around real life hero, Edgar Wright, who wrote and directed "Baby Driver" said on Twitter.
Ava DuVernay, who directed "Selma," reposted a photo she took with Fonda at a dinner: "Our photo theme was 'crazy', but my takeaway from dinner seated next to the legendary @IAmFonda was 'kind' and 'wise.'"

"Rest in Peace, Kind Sir," she wrote. "

Director Rob Reiner called Fonda a "revolutionary filmmaker during a revolutionary time."

"My heart goes out to Jane," he said via Twitter.

For actress and writer Illeana Douglas, "EASY RIDER depicted the rise of hippie culture, condemned the establishment, and celebrated freedom."

"Peter Fonda embodied those values and instilled them in a generation. Independent cinema begins with EASY RIDER. Period," she said on Twitter.

His career was defined by 'Easy Rider'

Born Peter Henry Fonda in New York on February 23, 1940, he started his career on Broadway in 1961 in "Blood, Sweat and Stanley Poole," according to Playbill.
He directed his first film, "The Hired Hand," in 1971. He also starred in the critically acclaimed western, which was restored and premiered at the 2001 Venice Film Festival.

In 1998, at age 57, Fonda was nominated for a best actor Academy Award for his turn as a beekeeper trying to hold his family together in the indie film "Ulee's Gold." The New York Times said of his performance, "It would be accurate but barely adequate to call this the finest work of Fonda's career."

He went on to star in a number of films, including "The Limey" and "Ocean' Twelve, and television shows, though he never achieved the success of his father.
But his career would forever be defined by his turn as Wyatt, with his stars-and-stripes helmet astride his motorcycle, "Captain America," in "Easy Rider," a rough-hewn character that often times reflected his personal life. Fonda's Wyatt and Hopper's Billy travel from the California-Mexico border to New Orleans in time to celebrate Mardi Gras.

Turner Classic Movies says "Easy Rider" on one level is the story of two drug dealers who become rich from a cocaine deal.

"But the film is much more than that and shows a diverse cross section of American culture that encompasses lifestyle experimentation (the hippie commune), intolerance (the hostile locals at a backwater Louisiana diner), and wanderlust (the motorcycle becomes a symbol for freedom)."

The biker image is one Fonda cultivated from an early age on, partly because of his famous father.

Fonda told the LA Times that it was his rocky relationship with his father that led him to first ride a motorcycle. "My father didn't want me to. I was like in your face," Fonda said. "As soon as I could I bought a Harley."

Coming to peace with his father

Like his siblings, Fonda had an at-times complex relationship with his father.

In a 1994 CNN interview, which came as he released his autobiography, "Don't Tell Dad: A Memoir," Fonda opened up about the genesis of rebellion.

"It was a desire to be heard -- a father who was not communicative at all. I became quite angry as I learned that I wasn't me -- I was Henry Fonda's son. I had no idea who he was; I didn't want to be identified that way. I was demanding to be heard on my own grounds."

The two reconciled after Fonda shared the screen with his father in the 1979 film, Wanda Nevada. Fonda told CNN he was 38 when his father told him he loved him.
"...and he put his hands on my shoulders and it was the oddest sensation of both him pushing me away and pulling me to him. Tears streaming down his face, he said in that beautiful Henry Fonda, non-blinking straight talk, 'I love you very much, son.' 'Well, I love you very much, dad.' And I got in my car and drove away,'" he said.

CNN's Sandra Gonzalez contributed to this report.

Code:

Last edited by Frothy Afterbirth : 08-17-2019 at 11:08 AM.
Old 08-24-2019, 08:54 PM
Symmetrical book stacking. Just like the Philadelphia mass turbulence of 1947.

Credits: 6,013,265
Stantz is dancing naked in the rep rain.Stantz is dancing naked in the rep rain.Stantz is dancing naked in the rep rain.Stantz is dancing naked in the rep rain.Stantz is dancing naked in the rep rain.Stantz is dancing naked in the rep rain.Stantz is dancing naked in the rep rain.Stantz is dancing naked in the rep rain.
Stantz is dancing naked in the rep rain.Stantz is dancing naked in the rep rain.Stantz is dancing naked in the rep rain.Stantz is dancing naked in the rep rain.Stantz is dancing naked in the rep rain.Stantz is dancing naked in the rep rain.Stantz is dancing naked in the rep rain.Stantz is dancing naked in the rep rain.Stantz is dancing naked in the rep rain.Stantz is dancing naked in the rep rain.Stantz is dancing naked in the rep rain.Stantz is dancing naked in the rep rain.Stantz is dancing naked in the rep rain.Stantz is dancing naked in the rep rain.

Code:

/FTFY
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Godfather View Post
Ask Stantz. He knows.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TR View Post
You are all cocsuckers. Especially Stantz. Fuck that guy.
Old 08-31-2019, 11:33 PM

Valerie Harper, TV's Rhoda Morgenstern, Dies at 80
3:54 PM PDT 8/30/2019 by Mike Barnes

Courtesy of Photofest

She starred on Mary Tyler Moore's show as her best friend and then on her own CBS sitcom as a brash and beloved New Yorker.

Valerie Harper, the resilient sitcom star whose nine-season run in the 1970s as wisecracking straight-shooter Rhoda Morgenstern made her one of the most beloved TV actresses of her era, has died after a courageous battle with cancer. She was 80.

Harper, who collected four Emmy Awards and one Golden Globe for playing the brash New Yorker on The Mary Tyler Moore Show and then on her own spinoff series Rhoda, died Friday morning, her family told KABC-TV entertainment reporter George Pennacchio.

Cristina Cacciotti, Harper's daughter, wrote on Twitter that her father, Tony, asked to share this statement: "My beautiful caring wife of nearly 40 years has passed away at 10:06 a.m. after years of fighting cancer. She will never, ever be forgotten. Rest In Peace, mia Valeria."

The actress was told by doctors in January 2013 that she had leptomeningeal carcinomatosis, an incurable condition in which cancer cells spread into the membrane surrounding the brain. She was given as little as three months to live, but eight months later, she revealed that her cancer was near remission.

Harper allowed NBC News to film her for a documentary and accepted an invitation to appear on ABC's Dancing With the Stars. "The doctors want me to exercise!" the former ballet dancer said.

She appeared on the syndicated show The Doctors in March 2013 to discuss her illness. "I'm a big mouth. … I really want Americans and all of us to be less afraid of death, know that it's a passage," she said. "But don't go to the funeral before the day of the funeral. While you're living, live."

In 2009, doctors had removed a tumor from her right lung. The actress never smoked. “I’m well past my expiration date already. … I’ve had a good run. What more can I ask for?” she said.

Harper returned to work in a 2017 short film, My Mom and the Girl, playing a mother faced with Alzheimer's disease, and did voice work on The Simpsons and American Dad!

Years earlier, Harper appeared as a dancer opposite Lucille Ball and Jackie Gleason on Broadway and starred for two seasons on the series Valerie before being fired amid a highly public salary dispute with NBC and Lorimar Television.

In 2010, she earned a Tony nomination for portraying bawdy 1940s actress Tallulah Bankhead in the comedy Looped.

While working in a play in a cozy theater on Vermont Avenue in Los Angeles, Harper was spotted by famed casting director and CBS vice president Ethel Winant and asked to audition for Mary Tyler Moore's new show, set to bow on CBS in 1970.

“It was the easiest, most pleasant audition process I ever went through, and it had this extraordinary outcome,” Harper told the Archive of American Television in a 2009 interview. “It was the wind in the sails of my entire career.”

Harper’s self-deprecating Rhoda worked as a window dresser in a Minneapolis department store and rented the loft apartment in the same house in which Mary had just secured a room. With Rhoda an out-of-shape, bandana-wearing Jewish girl from The Bronx and Mary an all-too-courteous, impeccably dressed Presbyterian from the Midwest, the two were opposites who did not get along at first.

However, the single women quickly became best pals, and in 2000, Time magazine called their relationship “one of the most renowned friendships in TV.” (Moore, who died in January 2017, said she was “devastated” when Harper phoned to tell her that she had incurable cancer.)

After appearing in 92 of the 168 episodes of The Mary Tyler Moore Show, Harper was given her own series to start the 1974-75 TV season by MTM Enterprises, the independent production company owned by Moore and her then-husband, Grant Tinker.

In the spinoff, Rhoda returns to New York, reunites with her parents (Nancy Walker and Harold Gould) and sister Brenda (Julie Kavner) and, at long last, finds love when she meets divorced construction executive Joe Gerard (David Groh).

Rhoda debuted on Sept. 9, 1974, and was a huge hit right out of the gate, becoming the first series to bow at No. 1 in the Nielsen ratings. In the eighth week, her wedding with Joe drew 52 million viewers, at the time second in history to only the I Love Lucy episode in January 1953 in which Little Ricky is born.

In a nifty example of cross-promotion, MTM characters talked about going to the wedding on their show and Moore, Ed Asner, Gavin MacLeod, Cloris Leachman and Georgia Engel attended the big event, held in Rhoda’s parents’ apartment.

During an ABC Monday Night Football broadcast airing opposite the hourlong wedding episode, announcer Howard Cosell joked that he hadn’t been invited to the ceremony and before a commercial break said, “Let’s get over to Rhoda’s wedding quick. The chicken liver is getting rancid.”

Harper accepted the best actress comedy Emmy for her work that season in what she called “true Rhoda fashion, dressed in a top made from an antique embroidered piano shawl,” she wrote in I, Rhoda, her memoir that was published in 2013.

But by the third season, the producers felt the show needed another direction.

“Maybe the audience wasn’t bored — yet — but we figured that at some time in the future it was inevitable, the way we were going,” producer Charlotte Brown told TV Guide in 1976. “Everything was so nice for our Rhoda in her happily married life. She had no vulnerability; she wasn’t the underdog anymore. We kept ending up with plots that featured the funny insecurities of poor Brenda.”

Rhoda and Joe started arguing, they separated and then divorced in season four. Viewers deserted the series, and Rhoda was canceled midway through its fifth season, in December 1978, with four episodes in the can.

“My biggest regret was that we hadn’t been given an opportunity to write a final episode of Rhoda,” she wrote in her book. “The Mary Tyler Moore Show had wrapped up with a perfect, bittersweet and amusing finale on which I was thrilled to be able to appear. I wish that Rhoda had been given the same opportunity.”

Harper was born on Aug. 22, 1939, in Suffern, New York, raised Catholic by her parents, Howard and Ida. Her father was a lighting salesman (his company put the bulbs inside the Holland Tunnel) and her mother was a nurse. Because of her dad’s job, the family moved often and lived in such towns as South Orange, New Jersey; Pasadena; Monroe, Michigan; Ashland. Oregon; and Jersey City, New Jersey.

“I guess you’d call me a Jersey girl,” she said.

Harper took ballet lessons at a place that worked out of Carnegie Hall and attended Quintano’s School for Young Professionals in Manhattan with fellow future actors Sal Mineo, Carol Linley and Tuesday Weld.

At 16, she landed a job as a member of the Corps de Ballet dancers that performed four or five times a day between the movie screenings at Radio City Music Hall. Other entertainment included magicians and dog acts.

Harper made her Broadway debut in 1956 as a dancer in the musical comedy Li’l Abner, becoming a favorite of director-producer-choreographer Michael Kidd. He employed her in the chorus for Destry Rides Again, starring Andy Griffith, Take Me Along with Gleason, the Ball-toplined Wildcat and Subways Are for Sleeping, starring Orson Bean.

Her roommate, actress Arlene Golonka, suggested Harper try acting and audition for the Second City revue, which had just moved from Chicago to New York. She joined the cast, which included actor Dick Schaal, and they married a few months later in 1964 (they divorced in 1978).

“He was my mentor,” Harper told People in 1975. “He totally brought me into acting. He’s read me lines for years and been nothing but supportive. He absolutely built the character of Rhoda with me.”

The couple worked on a daytime talk show with bandleader Skitch Henderson, then moved from their Greenwich Village apartment above a laundromat to Los Angeles in 1968.

She and Schaal wrote for Love, American Style, and she landed jobs on such shows as The Doctors, The Glen Campbell Goodtime Hour, Columbo and Playboy After Dark.

“But once I got onto The Mary Tyler Moore Show, everything transformed,” she said.

Harper returned to series television in 1986 with Valerie, playing a suburban Chicago mother working and raising three sons (the oldest was 17-year-old Jason Bateman) while her husband, a pilot (Josh Taylor), was often away.

In the second season, an episode in which Bateman and his ex-girlfriend consider having sex featured the first primetime use of the word “condom.” NBC issued a parental advisory warning and suggested that adults watch the show with their kids.

With Valerie gaining momentum in the ratings, Harper and Tony Cacciotti, her personal trainer and second husband, sought salary increases and a larger cut of future syndication revenue but were denied. They refused to come to work.

Lorimar then fired Harper and claimed she was a pain to work with. The actress took NBC and the producers to court for breach of contract and filed a libel suit, and in 1988 a jury awarded Harper $1.4 million in damages from Lorimar as well as a share of the show’s profits.

“If I were a new actress, my career would have been over, but I was 18 years in,” she said in the TV Archive interview. “A lot of writers were saying, ‘Valerie? Difficult? What?’ We went to court, they lost, big time. And you go on.”

Harper’s character was killed off in a car crash, and Sandy Duncan came on board as the children’s aunt and surrogate mom.

In between Rhoda and Valerie, Harper appeared in the 1980 telefilms Fun and Games, a serious look at sexual harassment in the workplace, and director Paul Newman’s The Shadow Box.

Her film credits include Li’l Abner (1959), Freebie and the Bean (1974), The Last Married Couple in America (1980) and Blame It on Rio (1984). She reunited with Moore for the ABC telefilm Mary and Rhoda (2000) and has worked on Desperate Housewives. More recently, she had guest appearances on 2 Broke Girls, Melissa & Joey and Hot in Cleveland.

Offscreen, Harper fought alongside fellow feminists Gloria Steinem and Bella Abzug for passage of the Equal Rights Amendment. She ran for president of the Screen Actors Guild in 2002 but lost to Melissa Gilbert.

In the TV Archive interview, Harper recalled attending an ice show as a child and realizing what she wanted to do for a living.

“It was a moment,” she said. “The lights were great, the audience, the theatrical experience … I just knew it. I said to myself, ‘No matter what it is, I am going to be in show business.’ ”

Code:

Old 08-31-2019, 11:35 PM

Gordon Bressack, Emmy-Winning 'Pinky and the Brain' Writer, Dies at 68
5:57 PM PDT 8/30/2019 by Aaron Couch

Courtesy of James Cullen Bressack

His credits include other animated shows like 'Tiny Toon Adventures,' 'The Smurfs' and 'Darkwing Duck.'

Gordon Bressack, the Emmy-winning writer known for such animated hits as Pinky and the Brain and Animaniacs, has died. He was 68.

Bressack died Friday in Los Angeles after a long health battle, his son, filmmaker James Cullen Bressack, told The Hollywood Reporter.

"Thank you for telling me I was going to be a filmmaker before I ever even knew what that meant," the younger Bressack wrote on Instagram. "You meant the world to me, you always have and you always will."

Bressack worked on some of the most influential cartoons of the 1990s. He was nominated for five Daytime Emmys and won three that he shared with his colleagues — outstanding achievement in animation for Animaniacs in 1996; outstanding special class animated program for Pinky and the Brain in 1999; and outstanding children's animated program for Pinky, Elmyra & the Brain in 2000.

In 1998, he became the first recipient of the Writers Guild's Animation Writers Caucus Animation Award.

His credits also include Tiny Toon Adventures, The Smurfs, Mighty Max, Darkwing Duck, Bionic Six and his own creation, Captain Simian and the Space Monkeys.

Bressack was a New York native who came up in the theater. In his later years, he exercised his love of the stage by writing and directing plays in Los Angeles.*

In addition to his son — with whom he shared his most recent animation credit, on their 2017 feature-length film CarGo — Bressack is survived by his daughters, Jackie and Samantha; his grandchild, Logan; and siblings Margi, Celia and Roger.

Code: