forum stepTV stepSTALKER sweatshop email Home

Go Back   The Drunken stepFORUM - A place to discuss your worthless opinions > General Discussion: > I am - Peer Validation

Old 07-20-2008, 04:21 AM
I can say Jap cuz I am a Jap! ...Jap jap jappity jap.lol

Credits: 291,773
n2tattoos.lol has much to be proud ofn2tattoos.lol has much to be proud ofn2tattoos.lol has much to be proud ofn2tattoos.lol has much to be proud ofn2tattoos.lol has much to be proud ofn2tattoos.lol has much to be proud ofn2tattoos.lol has much to be proud ofn2tattoos.lol has much to be proud ofn2tattoos.lol has much to be proud ofn2tattoos.lol has much to be proud ofn2tattoos.lol has much to be proud ofn2tattoos.lol has much to be proud ofn2tattoos.lol has much to be proud ofn2tattoos.lol has much to be proud of

Just Checking: Scenes from the life of an obsessive-compulsive by Emily Colas

From Booklist
Colas worries a lot. She fears that the baby-sitter is using the family's toothbrushes. She suspects someone has tampered with her Cap'n Crunch. An obsessive-compulsive mother of two, Colas makes worry an art. This anecdotal, first-person account of Colas' illness is highly readable and funny. It also benefits from one of the symptoms of the illness (which affects 2.5 percent of Americans over the life course): a vague awareness that something is awry. At its best, Just Checking is a lighthearted glimpse of a treatable illness. But it's not the whole story. After she runs over a chipmunk, Colas repeatedly returns to the scene to verify that she has not killed a child. Behind the comic behaviors that Colas emphasizes is a gnawing disorder that is often painful and frightening. One hopes that Colas will take up her pen again, explore this part of her experience, and risk the darkness.

Slapboxing with Jesus by Victor LaValle
Amazon.com
Victor D. LaValle grew up in Queens, New York, an African American male in a city and a country where guys who look like him are made to feel like interlopers. His debut collection, Slapboxing with Jesus, is hard-edged, violent, poetic. As in Junot Diaz's Drown, the prose is a series of choppy, precise sentences, like jabs ("The NYU banners flapped with the wind, loud enough to sound like teeth cracking in your head"), and the stories take place in small stuffy apartments where walls are inadequate shields against the loud and inescapable neighborhood.

Like Diaz, LaValle is pretty merciless when it comes to the subject of women. As the title suggests, this is a macho book. The opening sentence of the first story begins, "The next morning I was still scratching my nuts." Readers without nuts might be a little put off. The love that occurs in these pages is between brothers, between guys who have known each other since they were kids and who have tried to bail each other out, set each other up, find a whore they can both share. In the powerful three-page story "Chuckie," even boyhood bonds break apart in the face of a violent Italian gang. When the title character is beat up, the narrator realizes that he can only protect himself: "The blood started coming. I didn't know a face had so much. Helping was still an option for the others, but not me..."

The highlight of the book is "Ghost Story." Like Denis Johnson's famous "Car Crash While Hitchhiking," it renders paranoid delusions from the first person--and bit by bit the prose collapses as the narrator's medication wears off. Here he recalls a stint in a mental hospital:

"Just the hours that were eons sitting on a couch, a row of ten of you, ten or twenty, no books, magazines too simple for the mildly retarded and your active mind leaps further and further over an empty cosmos, as lonely as the satellites sent to find life in the universe. But in there, at least, was when I'd realized how they waged their war, my enemies: through sockets and plugs, through a current."

Such passages establish LaValle as a writer to be reckoned with, one capable of transporting the reader to a strange and terrible interior.

not my links. always virus check.
Old 07-22-2008, 01:32 PM
i have seen a vagina, and it was expensive

Credits: 8,909
jacko is being mentioned in polite conversation

Just finished Dennis Lehane's latest, THE GIVEN DAY. If you only know him through his books made into movies, GONE, BABY, GONE & MYSTIC RIVER, then you'll find this quite different. It's his first attempt at a historical novel, following several different characters from different walks of life during the tumult of the Boston Police Strike in 1919. A really good read.

Previous to that I read Jason Goodwin's THE BELLINI CARD, the third in his series of mysteries set in Istanbul & the Sultan's court in the 1830s. There were two previous books: THE JANISSARY TREE & THE SNAKE STONE and they all feature Yashim the Eunuch, who tends to the Sultan's harem & has a knack for getting to the bottom of some very murky goings on. This is a great combination of history & mystery writing.

In the same vein, try Steven Saylor's "Roma Sub Rosa" series of mysteries, set in ancient Rome, They now number twelve; the first was ROMAN BLOOD. Gordianus the Finder is the sleuth in all of them. If you like the HBO series, ROME, then you'll like Saylor's mysteries, plus his novel ROMA, which chronicles the first 5 centuries of the city's history through the experiences of one family.
Old 07-22-2008, 02:05 PM
kicked the fuck out

DSF Guest 8 is starting to gain some momentum on DSF

Remembrance of Things Past by Proust
Old 07-22-2008, 02:50 PM
I'll bust a nut on a girl's tramp stamp...now it's a Scamp stamp!

Credits: 61,801
scampr is a jewel in the roughscampr is a jewel in the roughscampr is a jewel in the roughscampr is a jewel in the roughscampr is a jewel in the roughscampr is a jewel in the rough
Default cool thread

I'm actually gonna pic up some of these.

Anyway today I'm reading a comedy:

The Stupidest Angel

By:Christopher Moore

Read half of it last night. It's really fuckin' funny so far.
Old 09-03-2008, 02:40 PM
jesus is my homeboy

Credits: 5,183
Candi Apples is starting to gain some momentum on DSF

I really love this thread,since I am an avid reader,so I hope it gets updated every so often.

Anyways,I just finished reading Narcissism: Denial of the true self
by Alexander Lowen M.D.

Great book,if you have an interest in psychology,particularly what makes
the narcissist tick.

I highly recommend it.

Last edited by Candi Apples : 09-03-2008 at 02:41 PM. Reason: .
Old 09-03-2008, 02:47 PM
kicked the fuck out

DSF Guest 6 is starting to gain some momentum on DSF

just finished "The Last Lecture" by Randy Pausch

Everyone should give it a read. Very inspiring and I couldn't put it down.

Code:
Content, Pictures  and Download links visible to registered users only. 

REGISTER NOW to access all areas that are invisible to non-members.
Old 09-03-2008, 02:57 PM
Granny pr0n poster extraordinaire

Credits: 16,810
thermos will become famous soon enoughthermos will become famous soon enough

I just finished (re)reading Catch 22 by Joseph Heller last week.

I'm not kidding or fucking you with hyperbole - it's the best fucking book I've ever read - right up DSF alley.

I'm (re) reading The Hobbit right now because my daughter is trying to read it. I love those books, I'm such a nerd.

I'd like to read some Chuck Klosterman or Kurt Vonnegut next.....I still haven't read Breakfast of Champions.
Old 09-03-2008, 03:00 PM

Code:

Fuck yes....Black House and Straub kick serious ass.

We shan't even bring up Roland or the Dark Tower.....I'll start to precum.
Old 09-03-2008, 03:07 PM

Code:

No offense....but if I could, I would cockwhip John Maxwell. Harshly too, I don't mean 'cockwhip' in a gentle, loving way.

Here at work - I had to sit thru several hours of him presenting that very same book. That man is ONE pompous, annoying muthafucka in person.
Old 09-03-2008, 03:09 PM
jesus got drunk and molested me

Credits: 61,535
Shasturbator has a spectacular auraShasturbator has a spectacular auraShasturbator has a spectacular auraShasturbator has a spectacular auraShasturbator has a spectacular aura

Code:

so I guess that means you would completely blow your load if Jo typed it in italics

about a man and his horse