forum stepTV stepSTALKER sweatshop email Home

Go Back   The Drunken stepFORUM - A place to discuss your worthless opinions > General Discussion: > I am - Getting Drunk & Molesting You > I am - Music Discussion

Old 07-05-2008, 07:09 PM
Fundamentals are a crutch for the talentless

Credits: 12,676
effjay will become famous soon enougheffjay will become famous soon enougheffjay will become famous soon enough
Default Dave Matthews Band

I'll start a little discussion, I'd like to get some peoples thoughts on it as I've actually been arguing with my brother's girlfriend about it quite a bit lately. I have, and probably always will be, a huge Dave Matthews fan. I take a lot of shit for that because I'm no longer a frat boy, I don't wear burkenstocks and I shower. There's still something about his music though that I love. I think the way they have everything arranged in their songs, the different sets they do when they go on live and just the songs themselves are awesome. But still, for some reason, you either LOVE Dave Matthews Band or you HATE Dave Matthews Band. What are your thoughts?

If you like Dave: Why? What is your favorite song? Seen him Live?

If you don't like Dave: Why? Specific reason or just hate awesomness?
Old 07-05-2008, 07:37 PM
I'll bust a nut on a girl's tramp stamp...now it's a Scamp stamp!

Credits: 61,816
scampr is a jewel in the roughscampr is a jewel in the roughscampr is a jewel in the roughscampr is a jewel in the roughscampr is a jewel in the roughscampr is a jewel in the rough
Default one other category

Sometimes people form opinions because a band is jackhammered into their brains. You alluded to it yourself with your disclaimers. If Birkenstock people drive you nuts and everytime you talk to one about music it's all about Dave then you may dislike him by association. Also if you hear it adnauseum on the radio then you'll get burned out.

I don't hate him. I'm just done.
Old 07-05-2008, 07:40 PM

effjay will become famous soon enougheffjay will become famous soon enougheffjay will become famous soon enough

Good point Scampr. I think a lot of people have burned out on him because of how his fans act / get super obsessive over him. Plus, for a good chunk of the last decade you can hear "Crash" on the radio just about everyday, so I could see how that woul dass to the burnout factor.
Old 07-05-2008, 07:53 PM
i have seen a vagina, and it was expensive

Credits: 3,103
dikfore63 is starting to gain some momentum on DSF

I love these guys. Never seen them in concert and probably wouldn't cause I don't like all the distractions that come with live shows. My favorite song is Lie in Our Graves off of the Crash CD. I've been listening to this CD since it came out and is probably one of the most played in the house. I couldn't tell you many of the lyrics to this song because I always end up getting lost in the music.
Old 07-05-2008, 07:57 PM

Dikfore ( great name BTW) if you ever get the chance to see them live you really should. I saw them live at the George Washington Gorge back in 2001 and it was an AMAZING show. He plays great outdoor shows and knows how to entertain the crowd.

I figure I should answer my own question as well: My all time favorite Dave song is probably "Satelite" but actually "Dream Girl" is the one I'm listening to quite a bit here off his latest album. Which is actually pretty funny because I'd say the lastest album Stand Up is by far my least favorite or all of his albums, or at least possibly tied for least favorite w/ Busted Stuff.
Old 07-05-2008, 08:00 PM
i have never seen a vagina, but at least i dont live with my mom

Credits: 8,595
trondi is starting to gain some momentum on DSF

Yeah, I don't hate Dave Mathews, just his band. Hate is strong word too. It is not my favorite.
I like when he goes it alone, and just plays and sings. I have heard solo versions of songs that I like quite a bit, that I can't stand, when I hear the whole band version.
Some of his "Cleverness" can come across as arrogant.
Fans can sometimes ruin a good band too.
There was a band around here named RSC**. Their fans, a goup of folks about 5 or 6 strong, would start dancing in this whirly twirly dungeons and dragons type dancing style, and it would make you not want to go near the stage, nor be mistakenly associated with those idiots.
The RSC broke up, and I don't miss the RSC dancers one bit.
**some names have been changed to protect the innocent.

Old 07-05-2008, 10:50 PM
Custom user title? Who the fuck needs it.

Credits: 36,418
Striker is a jewel in the roughStriker is a jewel in the roughStriker is a jewel in the roughStriker is a jewel in the roughStriker is a jewel in the roughStriker is a jewel in the rough

I love DMB... well love might be overstating it a bit. I think most of the new shit sucks, but then again I might just need to give it more time. I love the classics like Two Step, Seek Up, Rhyme and Reason, etc and I think BTCS is my favorite DMB album, hands down.

I've seen them live once, or twice since it was two nights. West Palm Beach, FL, Aug 30th and Jul 1st, 2004.

Also, some of the best Dave stuff is when it's just him and Tim Reynolds.
Old 07-05-2008, 10:56 PM

Totally true about the stuff he did with Tim Reynolds. Also really like the Dave N Friends stuff when you get Trey Anastasio up there with Reynolds and Dave.
Old 07-06-2008, 12:18 AM
i have seen a vagina, and it was expensive

Credits: 5,816
dogstain is starting to gain some momentum on DSF

I can't really put my finger on why I dislike him. I like the Grateful Dead and some other jam bands, and I believe Dave and Co. to be very talented musicians. I think - if I had to justify my distaste it would be this:

(Note: I'm sure this generalization doesn't apply to the people here who like his music. This has just been my experience.)

Everyone I've met who like DMB, knows absolutely nothing about music. They like him because their boyfriend/girlfriend likes them, or they played the college they went to, or some other non-music-related reason. They don't like DMB and other bands that may mine the same musical vein - they only like DMB. I hope that makes sense.

I kinda feel the same way about The White Strips. I see it as music for people who don't like music. Years ago, my sister said to me "I love Depeche Mode". I asked her why and her response was "because they play them on the radio". There's a lot of different people out there that like music for all different reasons. Not everyone obsesses about it like I sometimes do.

Again, I don't mean to offend anyone who is a fan.
Old 07-06-2008, 12:32 AM
I have won the lifetime achievement award... twice.

Credits: 79,109
Moose_Thompson is a splendid one to beholdMoose_Thompson is a splendid one to beholdMoose_Thompson is a splendid one to beholdMoose_Thompson is a splendid one to beholdMoose_Thompson is a splendid one to beholdMoose_Thompson is a splendid one to beholdMoose_Thompson is a splendid one to beholdMoose_Thompson is a splendid one to beholdMoose_Thompson is a splendid one to beholdMoose_Thompson is a splendid one to beholdMoose_Thompson is a splendid one to behold

dogstain is right...there are a lot of people who like DMB for no particular reason at all.

I really like Dave, in fact I will be seeing DMB this Wednesday in Tampa. I think they have grown over the years, I enjoy the new stuff just as much as the old.

For favorite cds...I would say live would be Dave and Tim at Radio City Music Hall, studio would be Busted Stuff. My favorite song is "Oh" about his grandfather.

I can't put into words why I like them so much...I just connect with the sound. I can listed everyday and never grow tired of it.
RIP TheSnake