forum stepTV stepSTALKER sweatshop email Home

Go Back   The Drunken stepFORUM - A place to discuss your worthless opinions > General Discussion: > I am - Getting Drunk & Molesting You > I am - Music Discussion

Old 01-08-2009, 01:30 PM
the iPod pirate... Argggh! .. WAIT, don't get me wet!

Credits: 67,539
rdc2007 is a splendid one to beholdrdc2007 is a splendid one to beholdrdc2007 is a splendid one to beholdrdc2007 is a splendid one to beholdrdc2007 is a splendid one to beholdrdc2007 is a splendid one to beholdrdc2007 is a splendid one to beholdrdc2007 is a splendid one to beholdrdc2007 is a splendid one to behold

Actually, Zeppelin had only 7 studio LPs (8 if you count Physical Graffiti as 2) over a 12 year period. But it's true, nobody knew who Alice Cooper or Cheap Trick were until their third albums. Same for Queen in the USA. Pink Floyd made a bunch of records before they were considered a commercial success. None of those bands would have made it today.
Old 01-08-2009, 01:48 PM
satan666

Credits: 0 [Check]

Oh ok... well what about Bowie didnt he have like over 20 albums?

Yeah and Pink Floyd...there's no way they woulda made it today.

i can just see the Exec screaming "Tell them i don't care if it's a concept album...i need a radio hit and a ringtone out of this release!"
Old 01-08-2009, 02:03 PM
the iPod pirate... Argggh! .. WAIT, don't get me wet!

Credits: 67,539
rdc2007 is a splendid one to beholdrdc2007 is a splendid one to beholdrdc2007 is a splendid one to beholdrdc2007 is a splendid one to beholdrdc2007 is a splendid one to beholdrdc2007 is a splendid one to beholdrdc2007 is a splendid one to beholdrdc2007 is a splendid one to beholdrdc2007 is a splendid one to behold

Bowie's first single was released in 1964. His first hit was "Space Oddity" in 1969 and didn't have another hit until 1972. He's had as many flops as hits in his career, possibly more, but he's still rightly considered a legend. Yeah, he would have been toast had he debuted in 2008.

Another one: KISS. Total commercial flop until their 4th release (ALIVE!).
Old 01-08-2009, 02:45 PM
Patriotism is as fierce as a fever, pitiless as the grave, blind as a stone, and irrational as a headless hen.

Credits: 33,415
Fever might win a People's Choice award
Fever might win a People's Choice awardFever might win a People's Choice awardFever might win a People's Choice awardFever might win a People's Choice awardFever might win a People's Choice awardFever might win a People's Choice awardFever might win a People's Choice awardFever might win a People's Choice awardFever might win a People's Choice awardFever might win a People's Choice awardFever might win a People's Choice awardFever might win a People's Choice awardFever might win a People's Choice award

I completely agree that the corporations are not providing the incubation period for bands, but I personally think we're gonna benefit.
There are so many independents and the margins of record sales have shrunk so much that the quality bands I am looking for are touring as the largest source of income (instead of bloated corporate deals). While they continue to focus on the ringtone one-hit shit and get their immediate profits on that hamster wheel, I see quality live acts all the time, and steadies like Black Crowes, Blues Traveler, Ben Harper, all those indies and are playing smaller venues and going back to the roots of all those classic acts we love.
Even my teenager can see her favorites (all the Fueled by Ramen pop) for an average of about $10 a set here in Portland. I think that's a big part of building a bands soul, even for acts like Girl Talk & Santogold, both of which I've seen in small venues in the last couple months..

The mighty Zep, the greatest band of all time IMO, had to tour and live all that, as did Gn'R, Aerosmith, etc.; does Lil' Wayne? or really Nickelback?

Old 01-12-2009, 09:59 AM
Granny pr0n poster extraordinaire

Credits: 16,858
thermos will become famous soon enoughthermos will become famous soon enough

Death Cab for Cutie - Narrow Stairs

Delta Spirit - Ode to Sunshine

Fleet Foxes - Sun Giant

All worth a listen, IMHO.
Old 01-14-2009, 08:45 PM
paris gave me herpes

Credits: 5,846
surfmagik15 is starting to gain some momentum on DSF

Code:
Content, Pictures  and Download links visible to registered users only. 

REGISTER NOW to access all areas that are invisible to non-members.
I couldn't agree more! Bands these days hardly need to prove themselves. As long as the fit in with the "scene" and have a couple melodies, they're going straight to the top, even if its only for a few weeks.

Our generation doesn't have a Zeppelin or Def Leppard. In 20 years I have to wonder what songs will be played in bars that will then be considered classics. Nothing from our time rings a bell. It's shit like the Jonas Brothers that needs to be put to rest...bring back some integrity.
Old 01-15-2009, 06:42 PM
i have seen a vagina, and it was expensive

Credits: 13,671
danieldamone is starting to gain some momentum on DSF

Code:

I'm kinda already over Fleet Foxes. Nothing this passed year that comes to mind has really grabbed me.
Navin: I had the craziest fantasy that I could rise up and float right down the end of this coronet, right through here, through these valves, right along this tube, and right up against your lips and give you a kiss.
Marie: Why didn't you?
Navin: I didn't want to get spit on me.
Old 01-19-2009, 01:57 AM
kicked the fuck out

DSF Guest 7 is starting to gain some momentum on DSF

Bon Iver's "For Emma, Forever Ago" was very good. So was the new Metallica.

I agree the Fleet Foxes album was a bit overrated.

Movie-wise, I thought it was a great year. I loved "Dark Knight," "Iron Man," Tropic Thunder," "Wall-E" and a whole bunch of smaller movies.
Old 01-30-2009, 12:50 AM
paris gave me herpes

Credits: 1,543
thenobody is starting to gain some momentum on DSF

You know, I found 2008 to be a lot more about digging than previous years, but I thought that some of the best records I've heard in a long time made it onto shelves.

Beck's Modern Guilt was a fantastic album, and I'm reasonable certain that, when the time comes to look back at our musical age, he will be seen as a visionary and a legend.

Both My Morning Jacket and Kings of Leon made some big strides with some relatively commercially successful albums as well.

Aside from the big albums, there was also a lot of really cool independent stuff released, especially here in Canada. If you're looking for some good music, I would always recommend checking out cbc radio 3, I've heard some amazing new things from bands like the Tom fun Orchestra, The Carps, The D'Urbervilles, The Constantines and the United Steelworkers of Montreal, just to name a few.
Old 01-30-2009, 08:37 AM
Granny pr0n poster extraordinaire

Credits: 16,858
thermos will become famous soon enoughthermos will become famous soon enough

Code:

I'm a fanatical Beck fan....but I was rather underwhelmed with Modern Guilt? It's also entirely possible that it will take me some time to appreciate it (a la certain Radiohead albums too).