forum stepTV stepSTALKER sweatshop email Home

Go Back   The Drunken stepFORUM - A place to discuss your worthless opinions > General Discussion: > I am - Getting Drunk & Molesting You > I am - Music Discussion

Old 07-10-2008, 09:05 PM
MEGADOUCHE

Credits: 0 [Check]

I could easily think of 30 bands that are overrated. Judas Priest, however,is not one of them. Overrated? It's farcical. I think back to the countless hours i enjoyed listening to them. I could by memory "play" Sad Wings in my head from start to finish. That kind of devotion to a band can't be overrated. This topic is busted.
Old 07-10-2008, 09:18 PM
i have never seen a vagina, but at least i dont live with my mom

Credits: 3,563
randomhoudini is starting to gain some momentum on DSF

Code:
Content, Pictures  and Download links visible to registered users only. 

REGISTER NOW to access all areas that are invisible to non-members.
No offence but that's bullshit. Anyone can be devoted to any band. It's all about opinion. And I'm of the opinion that your statement is retarded. In the best possible way of course, I'm not trying to flame you, just stating my opinion.
Old 07-10-2008, 09:26 PM
MEGADOUCHE

Code:

Random, this is exactly my point. No Band Is Overrated. It's all opinion. I should have followed up with my point. My bad. The beauty of art is that there is no correct answer. What i was saying (badly) is that BC's train of thought is busted.
Old 07-10-2008, 09:33 PM

Code:

I dunno. It depends on whether he means between us or the press. I believe that the musical press (over here anyway) rates them far higher than they should simply because of how long they've been around. It's unfair to heap masses of critical acclaim on a band due to their age. Some bands have been around for decades and still suck mighty balls or were good early in their careers and burnt out (I'm looking at you Metallica). But in the end it doesn't matter because as long as Priest fans still like Priest we all win.
Old 07-10-2008, 09:49 PM
MEGADOUCHE

Code:

i hear you. i feel the same way about the Rolling Stones. sure, a good tune here or there, but gushing i'm not. doesn't matter- millions of Stones ticket buyers are proving me wrong. I don't begrudge them, i just don't buy a ticket. Don't hate on the Priest, millions of us love them.
Old 07-11-2008, 04:25 AM
I'll bust a nut on a girl's tramp stamp...now it's a Scamp stamp!

Credits: 62,366
scampr is a jewel in the roughscampr is a jewel in the roughscampr is a jewel in the roughscampr is a jewel in the roughscampr is a jewel in the roughscampr is a jewel in the rough
Default we're still waiting...

Random,
Earlier in this thread you chastised Sickboy for giving you the sign. Saying that it wasn't a proper defense of his side in the debate.

Now help me if I miss something but your defense has consisted of:

Halford has a good set of pipes on him but good pipes alone do not make a classic band.
Considering he may have one of the 3 or 4 best sets ever to be in this genre, yeah it fuckin matters. It really matters since his contemporaries in the formative years of metal (except for Gillan) had almost no range at all. But for the perseverance of Halford and Priest the entire subgenre of Melodic Metal, and even a lot of 80s hard rock probably would never exist (the point not being that you need to like 80s hard rock but that you must recognize it sold billions of records and someone influenced those guys).

and

They did nothing revolutionary. Besides have an openly gay singer but other than that...
I'd say that Sad Wings of Destiny and Painkiller were musically revolutionary[seriously listen to them in the context of the times they were released and the state of hard music at THOSE times] while Screaming, Defenders and Turbo were all commercially revolutionary because they brought metal to people who were scared shitless of people in leather and denim. His sexual preference of course has nothing to do with whether they are overrated or not. Or whether they are talented or not. It didn't have anything to do with Freddy's abilities either.

and

I fail to see anything Priest in Slipknot, Metallica haven't been good since before I was born and Pantera are fantastically overrated. Megadeth too. So I have to disagree with you on them being influential. On big bands anyway.
Does that mean Slipknot is a model for comparison? I like them but I would need to hear an argument as to where they place in the pantheon of metal. How much bigger than Metallica is there? Who in metal has sold more albums? I disagree about Pantera but again not sure what that has to do with Priest.

and

I don't know about anywhere else in the world but over here the metal/rock rags all treat Priest like they invented metal. I think my main problem with them is the fact that for the last years I've had them rammed down my throat by said magazines. It's over exposure, like Iron Maiden. I can't stand Maiden for the sole reason that every time Bruce Dickinson breathes it gets reported.
and
But what about that little known band called Black Sabbath?
We covered some of this already - "they kinda did" as my colleague stated. But whether or not the Priest is finally getting some recognition doesn't mean they are overrated unless 1) they suck 2) no one likes them or 3) they aren't one of the founding fathers of metal. I think we can establish that metal fans wouldn't agree with any of those three statements. Further, your annoyance at their overexposure also does not mean they are overrated. While critics rejoiced that metal was dead as Cobain and Vedder whined like bitches Priest put out one of their best albums and no one noticed. I'd say 'bout fuckin time they got some pub!

and

No offence but that's bullshit. Anyone can be devoted to any band.
Shouldn't fans be considered in the overall tabulation of whether someone is overrated? Not the only factor but certainly it gets included. The only people who can continue to have massive tours and spend weeks in a studio without fan support would have to be the insanely wealthy.

and

I believe that the musical press (over here anyway) rates them far higher than they should simply because of how long they've been around. It's unfair to heap masses of critical acclaim on a band due to their age.
Similar to the above. People keep buying their records; the mags have to notice that. Their concerts keep filling; someone's bound to notice that too.

I just don't see a lot of real strength in your argument(s). How can a cofounder of a genre be overrated? Who do you like? How much metal do you listen to? Who do you think influenced them?

Last edited by scampr : 07-11-2008 at 04:30 AM.
Old 07-11-2008, 05:09 AM

Code:

To your first point I concede defeat. As to who I like it's more avant-garde type metal like Mr. Bungle's very early stuff, Naked City and Deli Creeps but Sabbath are held in very high regard (Pre-Dio). I don't listen to as much metal as I used to, I'll admit that, but I listen to a fair bit.

Having seen how highly certain members of the forum regard Priest, in a genuine sense, I retract the statement of them being overrated. I had just assumed that people praised them because they were told to. I see that I was wrong in this assumption. I still don't really like them but that's my loss.

Also, the Slipknot and Pantera comparisons came from this:

Code:

And as for the comment regarding Halford's sexual preference, it was tongue in cheek. I just wanted to clarify that seeing as the internet is a terrible medium for sarcasm.

All in all I would say that I have learned something today.
Old 07-11-2008, 05:22 AM
I'll bust a nut on a girl's tramp stamp...now it's a Scamp stamp!

Credits: 62,366
scampr is a jewel in the roughscampr is a jewel in the roughscampr is a jewel in the roughscampr is a jewel in the roughscampr is a jewel in the roughscampr is a jewel in the rough
Default cool

Code:

I'm gonna check them out. I'm assuming I found the right Naked City:
Naked City was an avant-garde group led by saxophonist / composer John Zorn. New York based Naked City were primarily active from 1988 to 1993 with a brief reunion in 2003. Genres covered by Naked City include Jazz, Metal, Country, Punk, Surf, Grindcore, Death, Ambient etc holy shit here's a great line: Of course you can't discount the vocal stylings of The Boredoms' Yamatsuka Eye on this album, reminiscent of a cat being sucked slowly into a garbage disposal whilst it is on fire and giving birth.

If so that blog said that Torture Garden is considered their most popular with metal fans. I'm dloading that. Any others I should try first? Also dLoading "Dawn of the Deli Creeps".

Last edited by scampr : 07-11-2008 at 05:28 AM.
Old 07-11-2008, 05:26 AM

Code:

Nah. Torture Garden is a good starting point. I posted it a while back. The s/t too. It's all I have/could find. I recommend them both. I sincerely doubt you'll hear anything else like them in this lifetime.
Old 05-04-2009, 10:10 PM
paris gave me herpes

Credits: 1,690
ChromeSkull is starting to gain some momentum on DSF
Default British Steel Tour

British Steel
Point Of Entry
Screaming For Vengeance

This is prime Judas Priest. Most everything before and after doesn't really do much for me.

Priest is on tour playing British Steel in its entirety. Only problem is that Whitesnake is the support act.

Here are the dates:
July 1: St. Charles, MO (The Family Arena)
July 2: Milwaukee, WI (Summerfest - Harley Davidson Stage)
July 3: St. Paul, MN (Taste of Minnesota at Harriet Island)
July 7: Mansfield, MA (Comcast Center)
July 8: Canadaigua, NY (CMAC)
July 9: Toronto, Ont. (Molson Amphitheatre)
July 11: Holmdel, NJ (PNC Bank Arts Center)
July 12: Wantagh, NY (Nikon at Jones Beach)
July 14: Cleveland, OH (Time Warner Cable Amphitheatre)
July 15: Independence Township, MI (DTE Energy Music Theatre)
July 17: Walker, MN (Moondance Jam)
July 18: Cadott, WI (Rockfest/Chippewa Valley Music)
July 21: Cincinnati, OH (PNC Pavilion @ Riverbend Music)
July 29: Paso Robles, CA (California Mid State Fair)
July 31: Concord, CA (Sleep Train Pavilion)
Aug 1: Marysville, CA (98 Rock Jamboree @ Sleep Train Ampitheatre)
Aug 2: Universal City, CA (Gibson Amphitheatre)

Look for your old pal ChromeSkull if you're planning on the Milwaukee, WI show.