forum stepTV stepSTALKER sweatshop email Home

Go Back   The Drunken stepFORUM - A place to discuss your worthless opinions > General Discussion: > I am - Getting Drunk & Molesting You

Closed Thread

Old 06-16-2008, 09:58 PM
That's MR. MillyMc to you!

Credits: 14,435
MillyMc is starting to gain some momentum on DSF
Default Rechargable Battery Question

I guess this could apply to all batteries that you can recharge like ipods, but I have a question specifically about cell phones because I just got a new one and I dont want to mess it up. Normally I charge my phone every night even when I dont always have to. The last couple of phones that I had, the battery would basically last 3 phone calls before dying after just under two years of use ( a coincidence that batteries last 2 years and you re-up and get new phones/plans every 2 years?).

I remember hearing something about letting your battery get down real low, almost dead, before charging and that will make it last longer? Does anyone know about that?

Ps- What about a sub-forum for tech questions?
Old 06-16-2008, 10:01 PM
Wearing a flavor saver since '95

Credits: 17,967
Goat Gosselin has a spectacular auraGoat Gosselin has a spectacular auraGoat Gosselin has a spectacular aura

i could be wrong but i think letting them be dead then charging them was for ni-cad batteries, i think all cell phones have lithium batteries and dont need the battery to be fully dead b4 you charge them, but as i say im not positive
Old 06-16-2008, 10:07 PM
I'm rollin with my pistol and my shotty

Credits: 227,386
jo_dile has a brilliant future
jo_dile has a brilliant futurejo_dile has a brilliant futurejo_dile has a brilliant futurejo_dile has a brilliant futurejo_dile has a brilliant future

Ive done both let it run down-almost dead, and also recharged while it still had juice and they last either way. I havent noticed a change in battery life and Ive dont it both ways with different phones. They really usually on last the 2 years like you said.
Old 06-16-2008, 10:48 PM
satan666

Credits: 0 [Check]

I know older ni-cad batteries would develop a "memory" if you didnt run them down completely first.

I will say this though. I try to never hook it up my MP3 players or cell phones up to a charger unless they actually need charging and they last a long time. So there still may be some truth to it.

My ipod has lasted 3 years and still keeps a great charge because of this technique while my friend's ipod only lasts 45 minutes now and we got them around the same time.
Old 06-16-2008, 11:03 PM
Fundamentals are a crutch for the talentless

Credits: 12,713
effjay will become famous soon enougheffjay will become famous soon enougheffjay will become famous soon enough

I'm with Lucas on this one, especially with the iPods. My first two I overcharged and they died on me pretty quick. My latest one I let run down a lot more and have not had any battery holding issues. In fact, I've had GREAT luck with the battery life on those ones! Same thing I'm now applying towards my new cell phone hoping it'll hang a little bit better than my last phone (A RAZR that ended up holding a charge for about four hours on stand by after 2 years. LAME.)
Old 06-16-2008, 11:56 PM
i have seen a vagina, and it was expensive

Credits: 2,262
doubledip is starting to gain some momentum on DSF

I was told that lithium-ion's only hold so many charges before they just start getting worn out, so it would make sense to let it die down before recharging it,you'd then get more use out of the battery...Also DO NOT talk and charge it at the sametime, just overheats it and is very bad on not just the battery but the whole electric board in the phone...again this is just what I was told and I've avoided doing that and my batteries are usually just fine...Always get em close to dying but then fully charge it without using it while charging if it is at all avoidable, sometimes it's not...

I also know sometimes, regardless of what you do, you just get a bunk battery...
Quote:
Originally Posted by jo_dile View Post
He is absolutely adorable.... I agree with you
Quote:
Originally Posted by ms. cellany View Post
I'll third that- way adorable. I told him months ago he's totally my type.
Old 06-17-2008, 09:31 AM
i have seen a vagina, and it was expensive

Credits: 12,812
RvP is starting to gain some momentum on DSF

as far as i was aware new battery's have gotten past this issue and are fine to charge when ever you want, but like Lucas said there could still be some truth to it, but ive never had a problem with my phones or mp3 players
Old 06-17-2008, 09:35 AM
Good grief! The comedian's a bear!

Credits: 47,101
SexyLion is getting blinded by his starsSexyLion is getting blinded by his starsSexyLion is getting blinded by his starsSexyLion is getting blinded by his starsSexyLion is getting blinded by his stars
SexyLion is getting blinded by his starsSexyLion is getting blinded by his starsSexyLion is getting blinded by his starsSexyLion is getting blinded by his starsSexyLion is getting blinded by his starsSexyLion is getting blinded by his starsSexyLion is getting blinded by his starsSexyLion is getting blinded by his starsSexyLion is getting blinded by his starsSexyLion is getting blinded by his starsSexyLion is getting blinded by his starsSexyLion is getting blinded by his starsSexyLion is getting blinded by his stars

I had issues with my blackjack II battery dying really fast, and was told, not to let it charge over night, and also to make sure that I lock the keypad so it does not go on and stay on as it rubs against anything. Also, in the case of Ipods, what generation Ipod do you have? Cause early ipods had lousy batteries and people actually got certificates to get them replaced.

Battery memory is not an issue anymore as far as I know (people think computers have been the biggest advancement, but it is actually batteries.)
Old 06-17-2008, 03:50 PM
i know more than you and i knew it before you did

Credits: 4,020
strommsarnac is teaching others the way of the Post Warriorstrommsarnac is teaching others the way of the Post Warrior
strommsarnac is teaching others the way of the Post Warriorstrommsarnac is teaching others the way of the Post Warriorstrommsarnac is teaching others the way of the Post Warriorstrommsarnac is teaching others the way of the Post Warriorstrommsarnac is teaching others the way of the Post Warriorstrommsarnac is teaching others the way of the Post Warriorstrommsarnac is teaching others the way of the Post Warriorstrommsarnac is teaching others the way of the Post Warriorstrommsarnac is teaching others the way of the Post Warriorstrommsarnac is teaching others the way of the Post Warriorstrommsarnac is teaching others the way of the Post Warriorstrommsarnac is teaching others the way of the Post Warriorstrommsarnac is teaching others the way of the Post Warriorstrommsarnac is teaching others the way of the Post Warrior

Lithium (both Ion and Polymer) batteries do not have memory issues. However, they do degrade relative to the number of times charged. I think with Li-Ion's after about 500 charges the battery will only reach 80% max. It doesn't matter if it's a FULL or partial charge either. Polymers are are better and the figures are something like 1200/90%.

It's false that one can over charge Lithium batteries installed in a device. Part of the standard for them is circuitry "in the battery" which prevents that. If the battery is over charging, it's faulty.

Now, all that said, it pretty common that lithium batteries need to go through a "conditioning" period. Every Li-Ion/Li-Pol manufacturer says to do the following when first using one.

1. Install in device and drain the battery to the point the device will not power on.
2. With device off, charge for 24 hours. Do not interrupt.
3. Power on device and drain again.
4. Charge device (again while it's off) till the light designates full charge. Good to go from here.

Although, I've had many Lithium batteries which take 5 or more full drain cycles to hit their sweet spot on "in-use life".
Old 06-17-2008, 06:15 PM
There's nothing more exhilarating than pointing out the shortcomings of others, is there?

Credits: 30,956
Randal Graves is starting to gain some momentum on DSF

I just let my shit run down before I charge it because I'm too lazy to plug it until it's almost dead. I guess my laziness is finally good for something.