forum stepTV stepSTALKER sweatshop email Home

Go Back   The Drunken stepFORUM - A place to discuss your worthless opinions > General Discussion: > I am - stepPOLLS

View Poll Results: Best Drummer of all time?
1. John Bonham 49 31.41%
2. Keith Moon 22 14.10%
3. Buddy Rich 18 11.54%
4. Ringo Starr 7 4.49%
5. Somebody else (who?) Explain! 60 38.46%
Voters: 156. You may not vote on this poll

Old 07-08-2008, 10:05 AM
the burning and itching has stopped

Credits: 4,749
crafty will become famous soon enoughcrafty will become famous soon enoughcrafty will become famous soon enough

What has nine arms and sucks?

Def Leopard.

Code:
Content, Pictures  and Download links visible to registered users only. 

REGISTER NOW to access all areas that are invisible to non-members.
Old 07-08-2008, 10:26 AM
i have seen a vagina, and it was expensive

Credits: 7,066
mhump23 is starting to gain some momentum on DSF

I voted for John Bonham, but I'd agree with a lot of the posters and maybe put Neil Pertt in Ringo's spot. Ringo was the drummer in a lengendary band but he didn't have the chops to hang with any of those other guys.

Another guy who was awesome and I can't remember his name...I bet BigMac might know.... the guy who was the drummer for Black Oak Arkansas. He was a monster!!

Here's a couple that also deserve consideration:

Ginger Baker - Cream
Bill Bruford - Yes..King Crimson
Stewart Copeland - Police

Probably the best drummer I ever saw live was Pat Mastelotto for King Crimson. He was incredible
Old 07-08-2008, 10:36 AM

Credits: 8,821
fin will become famous soon enoughfin will become famous soon enoughfin will become famous soon enough

Code:
Content, Pictures  and Download links visible to registered users only. 

REGISTER NOW to access all areas that are invisible to non-members.
Keith Moon didn't die in the middle of a show, he did , however, pass out twice during a show at the Cow Palace and was replaced (for three songs) by Scott Halpin, an audience member. He did die FIVE years later (in the same room where Mama Cass died four years prior) and was then replaced by Small Faces drummer Kenney Jones.

Testify.

p.s. You spelled "callously" wrong. And made it large and obvious. And for that matter, what does "how calously(sic) he was replaced" have to do with his skill as a drummer?

Last edited by fin : 07-08-2008 at 10:39 AM.
Old 07-08-2008, 11:14 AM
i live with my mom and have never seen a vagina

Credits: 3,606
rankamateur has a spectacular aurarankamateur has a spectacular aurarankamateur has a spectacular aurarankamateur has a spectacular aura

The drummer for Black Oak (and also for Whitesnake) was Tommy Aldridge.

From looking at this board, it's pretty obvious that Peart is popular. I've listened to lots of Rush, spent my teen years trying to play along to La Villa and Spirit of Radio and all that - I even have a six foot vinyl convention poster of him. (I was also pretty upset when I went to the ProMark sticks factory in Houston to see a friend and she told me that Peart was there the day before and I could have met him)

All that said, if you listen to enough Rush albums and see enough concerts, you'll get how Peart is a choreographer at the drums - the "Rhythm Method" solo is the blueprint of every solo he played through Counterparts. His live playing matches his studio playing, almost exactly. And he does re-use beats in multiple songs (listen to La villa, Spirit of Radio, Red Barchetta, Limelight, YYZ, etc.)

What it comes down to is Neil Peart is better with a pen than with his sticks. He's pretty amazing with both, so no big deal. But, (for me) he suffers from lack of creativity and originality. (and I know that is the sentence that will show up in reply posts)

The drummers I think hold the notches above Neil in my personal favs list are Terry Bozzio, Vinnie Colaiuta and Steve Gadd. And above them, Buddy Rich.
Old 07-08-2008, 11:15 AM
Did you see the frightened ones? Did you hear the falling bombs?

Credits: 645,149
maxbailey has more rep than you could handlemaxbailey has more rep than you could handlemaxbailey has more rep than you could handlemaxbailey has more rep than you could handle
maxbailey has more rep than you could handlemaxbailey has more rep than you could handlemaxbailey has more rep than you could handlemaxbailey has more rep than you could handlemaxbailey has more rep than you could handlemaxbailey has more rep than you could handlemaxbailey has more rep than you could handlemaxbailey has more rep than you could handlemaxbailey has more rep than you could handlemaxbailey has more rep than you could handle

IMO its Lars.

And Puffy Bordin.
Old 07-08-2008, 03:45 PM

Credits: 3,394
lddc75 is starting to gain some momentum on DSF

i have to say John Henry Bonham. when i listen to the album "The Song Remains The Same" the guy gives me the fucking chills. plus there's a great story about how he smashed his rolls royce to bits just to prove a point. and the dude was a farmer.
Old 07-08-2008, 05:52 PM

Credits: 1,832
Martin Luther Bling is starting to gain some momentum on DSF
Default A made new friends because of this...

Aiight, I listened to a couple of them. I had it turned up a little bit too. Who knew that people knew the damn songs or who this group was. Because I listened to a couple of Rush songs people think we just bonded now. I don't want to borrow your damn Rush Cd or see a picture of you with a jean jacket with the Rush patch on the back. I can see why you say the guy is all that, but damn. It is just sifting thru all the other stuff to get to him that is killing me. This is starting to make people think I am a closet Rush fan.

I GOT WARRANTS!!
Old 07-08-2008, 06:07 PM
Take me out to the ballgame! ...and pass the joint

Credits: 5,076
BleacherCreature420 is starting to gain some momentum on DSF

Not saying he is the best, but check out this drum Kit from the Band Dream Theater....it belongs to Mike Portnoy....he is a very good drummer, I saw them live...im not huge into the band but like some of their stuff....my mouth dropped when i saw the kit

I would have to go with Lars myself.......also Chad from 311 is sick, Danny Carey From Tool Is very talented, and Axl the new Drummer in Opeth I saw live recently also was insane. Not a huge slipknot fan, but that drummer is nuts with the mask, and does a great live long solo on the lift that rises and spins........also sully from godsmack and his drummer do a live battle on stage pretty cool stuff... Come to think of it I have seen them all live.....haha
Old 07-08-2008, 07:38 PM

Credits: 522
TheDrunkElf is starting to gain some momentum on DSF

Bonham..

with Peart in the top 15 at least...
Old 07-08-2008, 11:17 PM
i live with my mom and have never seen a vagina

Credits: 3,606
rankamateur has a spectacular aurarankamateur has a spectacular aurarankamateur has a spectacular aurarankamateur has a spectacular aura

In the Portnoy kit (he's pretty kick-ass, by the way) you can see that it's two kits in one - notice there are two thrones. He plays one side of it or the other. Similar to Tony Verderosa's hybrid kit (that he played in the Kit-Kat commercials around 2001) If you want a staggeringly huge kit, you have to go with Bozzio:

And yes, he uses it all at once - he sounds like an orchestra, each of his limbs being a different group of instruments.

On his website there is a list of instruments in his kit - you actually can't squeeze all of it into one photo.