forum stepTV stepSTALKER sweatshop email Home

Go Back   The Drunken stepFORUM - A place to discuss your worthless opinions > General Discussion: > I am - Getting Drunk & Molesting You > I am - Music Discussion

Old 03-01-2010, 11:28 AM
satan666

Credits: 0 [Check]
Default Exclusive First Listen: Gorillaz

This would be a perfect opportunity for those of you with the AudialsOne program to record this stream and have it before most others do. If you don't have the program you can win it here.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Exclusive First Listen: Gorillaz
(first listen for most of the world. Old news if you're a DSFer )
March 1, 2010

When Gorillaz first emerged on the music scene, the idea of a virtual band composed of edgy cartoon personas that existed only on screen seemed both strange and brilliant. It may have been a gimmick, tailor-made for MTV back when it still regularly played videos, but it was an inventive one. And with huge breakthrough hits like "Clint Eastwood," "Tomorrow Comes Today" and "Feel Good Inc.," it was hard not to get caught up in the contagious combination of dub, hip-hop, Brit-pop and electronic music.

Gorillaz is essentially the brainchild of Blur frontman Damon Albarn and comic-book artist Jamie Hewlett ? best known for his work on Tank Girl ? who dreamed up the project back in 1998. Albarn would handle the music while Hewlett would design the characters (2D, Murdoc Niccals, Noodle and Russel), which serve as the visual element in Gorillaz's stylishly animated music videos.

Plastic Beach unites Albarn and Hewlett with a huge list of guests, creating yet another well-crafted and dance-friendly set of songs. Here, Albarn and company's songs demonstrate a genre-bending collection of glitchy club beats and hip-hop grooves, augmented by brass, glitzy synthesizers and Asian- and Arabic-tinged orchestral harmonies.

Much of the diversity in sound can be attributed to Gorillaz's constantly expanding group of collaborators. The original musical lineup ? as heard on 2001's Gorillaz ? blended the talents of Albarn and Dan "The Automator" Nakamura, as well as Kid Koala, Del tha Funkee Homosapien, Cibo Matto's Miho Hatori and Tom Tom Club's Tina Weymouth and Chris Frantz. Soon, with the follow-up Demon Days, Gorillaz's ever-rotating cast expanded to include Danger Mouse, Blondie's Debbie Harry, De La Soul and singer Martina Topley-Bird.

Plastic Beach continues this trend, with Albarn bringing in an impressive roster of musical contributors: Snoop Dogg, Bobby Womack, Lou Reed, Mos Def, Super Furry Animals' Gruff Rhys, Little Dragon, The Lebanese National Orchestra for Oriental Arabic Music, and many more.

Still, Albarn's musical touch and wit are felt throughout. From the Thriller-infused electro-funk of "Stylo" to the bubbly grooves of "Superfast Jellyfish" and "Some Kind of Nature," there's something for everyone, and often in the same song. Even three albums into what might have initially seemed to be a one-off art project, Gorillaz's Plastic Beach exudes fun.

LISTEN HERE

Old 03-01-2010, 11:33 AM
Patriotism is as fierce as a fever, pitiless as the grave, blind as a stone, and irrational as a headless hen.

Credits: 33,396
Fever might win a People's Choice award
Fever might win a People's Choice awardFever might win a People's Choice awardFever might win a People's Choice awardFever might win a People's Choice awardFever might win a People's Choice awardFever might win a People's Choice awardFever might win a People's Choice awardFever might win a People's Choice awardFever might win a People's Choice awardFever might win a People's Choice awardFever might win a People's Choice awardFever might win a People's Choice awardFever might win a People's Choice award

or, you could just get it here.
I posted it a few weeks ago.

Old 03-01-2010, 11:39 AM
inextricably bound up with perception

Credits: 71,942
dolphinskull is planning the next big thingdolphinskull is planning the next big thing
dolphinskull is planning the next big thingdolphinskull is planning the next big thingdolphinskull is planning the next big thingdolphinskull is planning the next big thingdolphinskull is planning the next big thingdolphinskull is planning the next big thingdolphinskull is planning the next big thingdolphinskull is planning the next big thingdolphinskull is planning the next big thing

shit post, how'd you get it so early?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beer View Post
I take pizza seriously.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eccles View Post
9/11 was an inside job from the Roswell aliens and the Loch Ness Monster
Old 03-01-2010, 11:42 AM
satan666

Credits: 0 [Check]

Code:
Content, Pictures  and Download links visible to registered users only. 

REGISTER NOW to access all areas that are invisible to non-members.
Damn, didnt even see that. Good job!

If i even remotely liked them i might give it a listen
Old 03-01-2010, 02:19 PM
inextricably bound up with perception

Credits: 71,942
dolphinskull is planning the next big thingdolphinskull is planning the next big thing
dolphinskull is planning the next big thingdolphinskull is planning the next big thingdolphinskull is planning the next big thingdolphinskull is planning the next big thingdolphinskull is planning the next big thingdolphinskull is planning the next big thingdolphinskull is planning the next big thingdolphinskull is planning the next big thingdolphinskull is planning the next big thing
Unhappy

post thats D-sides just with the plastic beach tags

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beer View Post
I take pizza seriously.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eccles View Post
9/11 was an inside job from the Roswell aliens and the Loch Ness Monster
Old 03-01-2010, 02:43 PM
Patriotism is as fierce as a fever, pitiless as the grave, blind as a stone, and irrational as a headless hen.

Credits: 33,396
Fever might win a People's Choice award
Fever might win a People's Choice awardFever might win a People's Choice awardFever might win a People's Choice awardFever might win a People's Choice awardFever might win a People's Choice awardFever might win a People's Choice awardFever might win a People's Choice awardFever might win a People's Choice awardFever might win a People's Choice awardFever might win a People's Choice awardFever might win a People's Choice awardFever might win a People's Choice awardFever might win a People's Choice award

Code:
Content, Pictures  and Download links visible to registered users only. 

REGISTER NOW to access all areas that are invisible to non-members.
You are absolutely right. My bad. I fucked up. Fixed.

(it's what i get for fuckin' around with shit i don't know)

Last edited by Fever : 03-01-2010 at 02:48 PM.
Old 03-03-2010, 10:35 PM
Mmmmm... DAT ASS!

Credits: 51,557
drunkbear is a splendid one to beholddrunkbear is a splendid one to beholddrunkbear is a splendid one to beholddrunkbear is a splendid one to beholddrunkbear is a splendid one to beholddrunkbear is a splendid one to beholddrunkbear is a splendid one to beholddrunkbear is a splendid one to beholddrunkbear is a splendid one to beholddrunkbear is a splendid one to beholddrunkbear is a splendid one to behold

fuck yeah dsf rocks