View Single Post
Old 11-12-2010, 12:54 AM
Happiness isn't good enough for me! I demand euphoria!

Credits: 11,129
cableporter has much to be proud ofcableporter has much to be proud ofcableporter has much to be proud ofcableporter has much to be proud ofcableporter has much to be proud ofcableporter has much to be proud ofcableporter has much to be proud ofcableporter has much to be proud ofcableporter has much to be proud ofcableporter has much to be proud ofcableporter has much to be proud ofcableporter has much to be proud ofcableporter has much to be proud ofcableporter has much to be proud ofcableporter has much to be proud of
Default 5 - 10% buffet service 10 - 20% ala carte, More in poorer countries

Depends on where in the world I am. Officially in Japan the people who serve you are insulted if you give them a tip. So I give them a tip of about 10% and they don't look all that insulted to me.

In Europe, it varies by country as well, each of them has their own culture and wage structure.

In Africa even when eating in top hotels the bills are far less than we are used to so I up the percentage for the staff but always leave it as cash, not sign it to my room so I know that the staff is getting it and that it does not go to the hotel management.

In North America, it runs between 10-20% depending on the service and quality of food. I know the wages are poor and the tips pay for their efforts.