Thread: Lynyrd Skynyrd
View Single Post
Old 07-18-2008, 03:05 PM
I'll bust a nut on a girl's tramp stamp...now it's a Scamp stamp!

Credits: 62,748
scampr is a jewel in the roughscampr is a jewel in the roughscampr is a jewel in the roughscampr is a jewel in the roughscampr is a jewel in the roughscampr is a jewel in the rough
Default But to answer BC's question...

Code:
Content, Pictures  and Download links visible to registered users only. 

REGISTER NOW to access all areas that are invisible to non-members.
Yes they would be. Skynyrd really speaks to a place within some people that a lot of other bands haven't tapped into quite so successfully. While unabashedly Southern. (hell their first huge single was basically a "fuck off" to Neil Young for the song Southern Man. "Hey he's our fucked up politician and we can talk shit about him but not you!") Their lyrics were an everyday working man tribute like John Mellencamp. But they rocked it up a bit more and still threw in enough steel guitar to keep pappy from getting too nervous if Daisy went to the show. The Free Bird intro could be any country band's riff from the 70s.

And yet as genius as the combination may seem for commercial success in the "red states" it's not contrived at all. They had the credibility because they lived the life. They were fairly humble men and they liked to party.

In reality the deaths probably held them back from being even more successful. The crash came at a horrible time for them career wise. And it took them out of the music making business for 15 years or so when they were really at their peak. Sure some of the guys tried their hands at a few things afterwards but they never had the magic that they all had together. And until the brothers could heal their own souls and imagine anyone following in big bro's bare-footsteps their legacy lay dormant. "Brickyard Road" the brothers tribute I think was the turning point. It's a beautiful goodbye and homage and after that Skynyrd was able to sort of reunite and find a way to write songs that for the most part remained true to their roots but with some growth and acknowledgement of the changes in the genre's they appealed to.

I actually think Skynryd would have been even more beloved if that horrible crash had never occurred