View Single Post
Old 07-08-2008, 11:14 AM
i live with my mom and have never seen a vagina

Credits: 3,606
rankamateur has a spectacular aurarankamateur has a spectacular aurarankamateur has a spectacular aurarankamateur has a spectacular aura

The drummer for Black Oak (and also for Whitesnake) was Tommy Aldridge.

From looking at this board, it's pretty obvious that Peart is popular. I've listened to lots of Rush, spent my teen years trying to play along to La Villa and Spirit of Radio and all that - I even have a six foot vinyl convention poster of him. (I was also pretty upset when I went to the ProMark sticks factory in Houston to see a friend and she told me that Peart was there the day before and I could have met him)

All that said, if you listen to enough Rush albums and see enough concerts, you'll get how Peart is a choreographer at the drums - the "Rhythm Method" solo is the blueprint of every solo he played through Counterparts. His live playing matches his studio playing, almost exactly. And he does re-use beats in multiple songs (listen to La villa, Spirit of Radio, Red Barchetta, Limelight, YYZ, etc.)

What it comes down to is Neil Peart is better with a pen than with his sticks. He's pretty amazing with both, so no big deal. But, (for me) he suffers from lack of creativity and originality. (and I know that is the sentence that will show up in reply posts)

The drummers I think hold the notches above Neil in my personal favs list are Terry Bozzio, Vinnie Colaiuta and Steve Gadd. And above them, Buddy Rich.