View Single Post
Old 02-27-2009, 11:53 PM
Patriotism is as fierce as a fever, pitiless as the grave, blind as a stone, and irrational as a headless hen.

Credits: 33,521
Fever might win a People's Choice award
Fever might win a People's Choice awardFever might win a People's Choice awardFever might win a People's Choice awardFever might win a People's Choice awardFever might win a People's Choice awardFever might win a People's Choice awardFever might win a People's Choice awardFever might win a People's Choice awardFever might win a People's Choice awardFever might win a People's Choice awardFever might win a People's Choice awardFever might win a People's Choice awardFever might win a People's Choice award

Code:
Content, Pictures  and Download links visible to registered users only. 

REGISTER NOW to access all areas that are invisible to non-members.
Props to you Troup on the honesty of your sentiment.
I believe you are absolutely correct in being hesitant to pass judgement; however, as someone a little longer in the tooth I can say as a senior in High School (17) when 'Appetite for Destruction', 'Joshua Tree' & 'License to Ill' released, and in college when 'Nevermind', 'Ten', 'Blood Sugar Sex Magik', 'Losing My Religion' & 'Ritual De Lo Habitual' came out, which were all huge albums to me - I knew something was happening.
That's what is missing for some of us.
And those are just the huge commercial shifts, lessers such as Tupac's reign to me far eclipsed anything lil' Wayne is capable of, because it was truly fresh. For others I realize it was Pavement or before then The Cure, etc. - the point is we all had those milestones, and I am curious what those significant shifts are/or have been for anyone in recent memory?
Beatles, Stones, Zep, Sabbath, all have had huge impact to date - I'd like to hear some speculation on who we will look back on as that type of influence from the current crop.
I don't want to be one of those crusty haters, as I take my kids to shows all the time hoping they find those inspiring forces, but I don't feel it. I enjoy the likes of everything from the Foos to QOTSA to Snow Patrol to Band of Horses to Raconteurs, etc. but I'm not sure any of their releases are truly 'groundbreaking' for true popular culture as some of those others.