Thread: The RIP Thread
View Single Post
Old 06-08-2023, 11:15 PM
If you need me I'll just be circling the maternity ward, listening for screams with my glass ready in hand.

Credits: 1,264,879
Frothy Afterbirth just keeps going & going & going.Frothy Afterbirth just keeps going & going & going.Frothy Afterbirth just keeps going & going & going.Frothy Afterbirth just keeps going & going & going.Frothy Afterbirth just keeps going & going & going.Frothy Afterbirth just keeps going & going & going.Frothy Afterbirth just keeps going & going & going.Frothy Afterbirth just keeps going & going & going.Frothy Afterbirth just keeps going & going & going.Frothy Afterbirth just keeps going & going & going.Frothy Afterbirth just keeps going & going & going.Frothy Afterbirth just keeps going & going & going.Frothy Afterbirth just keeps going & going & going.Frothy Afterbirth just keeps going & going & going.Frothy Afterbirth just keeps going & going & going.
Frothy Afterbirth just keeps going & going & going.Frothy Afterbirth just keeps going & going & going.Frothy Afterbirth just keeps going & going & going.Frothy Afterbirth just keeps going & going & going.Frothy Afterbirth just keeps going & going & going.Frothy Afterbirth just keeps going & going & going.Frothy Afterbirth just keeps going & going & going.Frothy Afterbirth just keeps going & going & going.Frothy Afterbirth just keeps going & going & going.Frothy Afterbirth just keeps going & going & going.Frothy Afterbirth just keeps going & going & going.Frothy Afterbirth just keeps going & going & going.Frothy Afterbirth just keeps going & going & going.Frothy Afterbirth just keeps going & going & going.Frothy Afterbirth just keeps going & going & going.

The Iron Sheik, pro wrestling legend and Hall of Famer, dies at 81
Marc Raimondi, ESPN Staff WriterJun 7, 2023, 12:15 PM ET

The Iron Sheik, a standout Greco-Roman wrestler from Iran who gained global fame in professional wrestling with his 1980s rivalries against the likes of Hulk Hogan, died Wednesday at the age of 81, according to his official Twitter account.

Sheik, whose real name was Hossein Khosrow Ali Vaziri, was a former WWF World Heavyweight champion and was inducted into the WWE Hall of Fame in 2005. As a hated heel, he had legendary battles in the 1980s against Hogan, Bob Backlund and Sgt. Slaughter. Vaziri beat Backlund for the WWF title in December 1983, and, one month later, Hogan defeated Vaziri in front of more than 20,000 at New York's Madison Square Garden to win the belt for the first time. The match helped catapult Hulkamania into a phenomenon, leading into the first WrestleMania one year later.

"With his larger than life persona, incredible charisma, and unparalleled in-ring skills, he captivated audiences around the globe," said the statement from his Twitter account. "He was a trailblazer, breaking barriers and paving the way for a diverse range of wrestlers who followed in his footsteps."

Before starting in professional wrestling, Vaziri was a bodyguard for the last Shah of Iran, Mohammad Reza Pahlavi. He was a Greco-Roman wrestler in his home country, nearly making the 1968 Olympic team. Vaziri then moved to the United States, where he won an AAU Greco-Roman wrestling championship at 180.5 pounds and became an assistant coach for the U.S. wrestling team, including its Olympic team in 1972.

Around that time, he broke into professional wrestling in Minnesota with AWA promoter Verne Gagne under coach and catch wrestling legend Billy Robinson. Vaziri was given a character based on his Iranian heritage (inspired by the outset of the Iranian Revolution) and he leaned into it, shaving his head, growing a handlebar mustache and wearing shoes curled at the toes, which went on to be an iconic look. He joined the WWF for the first time in 1979, winning Madison Square Garden's first battle royal match and having matches with the likes of Bruno Sammartino and Chief Jay Strongbow.

After dropping the WWF title to Hogan in 1984, Vaziri had a memorable host of matches with Sgt. Slaughter, a U.S. military-based character. The feud played off the real-life tensions between the U.S. and Vaziri's Iranian homeland. Vaziri and Slaughter had a violent, bloody "boot camp" match in June 1984 at Madison Square Garden that was highly acclaimed and still holds up today.

In recent years, Vaziri developed a cult fan following on Twitter, even from people who never watched his legendary battles inside the squared circle.

Vaziri is survived by his wife, Caryl, to whom he was married for 47 years; his children, Tanya and Nikki; and his son-in-law, Eddie, according to his Twitter account.

"Beyond the glitz and glamour of the squared circle, The Iron Sheik was a man of immense passion and dedication," the Twitter statement read. "He embodied resilience. He overcame countless challenges in his life, both inside and outside the wrestling ring. His journey from a small village in Iran to becoming one of the most recognized figures in the world of wrestling is a testament to his unwavering dedication."

Wrestling world pays tribute to WWE Hall of Famer The Iron Sheik
ESPN staff Jun 7, 2023, 01:39 PM ET

The pro wrestling world has lost one of its iconic characters. The Iron Sheik, a staple of WWE and WCW from 1979-2010, died on Wednesday. He was 81.

Born Hossein Khosrow Ali Vaziri in Iran in 1942, Sheik went on to become a WWE Hall of Famer. He was a legendary wrestling heel and had notable rivalries with Sgt. Slaughter and Hulk Hogan. Sheik won the WWF Heavyweight Championship in 1983 and became the only Iranian champion in WWE history.

The Iron Sheik also purportedly originated the word "jabroni" in wrestling parlance that was later made famous by Dwayne "The Rock" Johnson.

With news of his death, the wrestling world paid tribute to Sheik:

WWE is saddened to learn that Hossein Khosrow Ali Vaziri, known the world over as WWE Hall of Famer The Iron Sheik, passed away on Wednesday, June 7, at age 81.

WWE extends its condolences to The Iron Sheik's family, friends and fans.
— WWE (@WWE) June 7, 2023

Rest in Power, Uncle Sheiky
Thank you for paving the way
Love, light and strength to Caryl & the ohana x
— Dwayne Johnson (@TheRock) June 7, 2023

My Dear Friend Khosrow Vaziri!!! We Started Wrestling Together In 1972. Seems Like So Long Ago! We Crossed Paths So Many Times Over The Years & You Were Always So Entertaining. The Greatest Line You Ever Said To Me In 1972: "If I Had Your Hair, I Would Be With Elizabeth Taylor!"...
— Ric FlairŪ (@RicFlairNatrBoy) June 7, 2023

REMEMBERING THE IRON SHEIK

The wrestling world lost a true legend today, with the passing of Khosrow Vaziri, better known to fans across the globe as The Iron Sheik. Although I never got to know The Sheik well, I was fortunate to have been on hand for two of his most iconic...
— Mick Foley (@foleyispod) June 7, 2023

RIP to my old friend The Iron Sheik.

A true icon and someone who left a mark on wrestling that can never be erased. Another great one gone.
— JakeSnakeDDT (@JakeSnakeDDT) June 7, 2023

The legend. An all-time great performer and WWE Hall of Famer who brought his character to life and transcended our business.

My condolences to The Iron Sheik's family, friends and fans.
— Triple H (@TripleH) June 7, 2023

What a legend. Condolences to his friends and family. Any time I get to see or use Persian Meels for a workout, I think of the Iron Sheik. He was a great performer! Wrestlers should continue to study his body of work.
— Drew Gulak (@DrewGulak) June 7, 2023

AEW joins the wrestling world in mourning the passing of the Iron Sheik. Our thoughts are with his family, his friends and his fans.
— All Elite Wrestling (@AEW) June 7, 2023

Code:
Content, Pictures  and Download links visible to registered users only. 

REGISTER NOW to access all areas that are invisible to non-members.
He was a man of truly incredible words using the most diverse verbiage.

Last edited by Frothy Afterbirth : 06-08-2023 at 11:18 PM. Reason: I camel clutch the fuck out of you jabroni!