The Drunken stepFORUM - A place to discuss your worthless opinions

The Drunken stepFORUM - A place to discuss your worthless opinions (forum.drunkenstepfather.com/index.php)
-   I am - Peer Validation (forum.drunkenstepfather.com/forumdisplay.php?f=38)
-   -   What book are you reading right now? (forum.drunkenstepfather.com/showthread.php?t=59457)

SirLongFoot 07-18-2008 11:51 AM

Not to sound like a complete nerd, but I just finished up:

Stephen Hawking's "Universe in a Nutshell", and "A Brief History of Time."

Also "Relativity Simply Explained" by Martin Gardner. Awesome books. Blew me away.

Now I'm midway through the Lord of the Rings books (Two Towers).

tlock 07-18-2008 12:10 PM

Bright Shiny Morning by James Frey

Code:

Content, Pictures  and Download links visible to registered users only.

REGISTER NOW to access all areas that are invisible to non-members.

Cactus Jack 07-18-2008 12:11 PM

i have been going through a bunch of wrestler autobiographies. i just finished the chris jericho book which was really good and is just as good if not better than mick foley's original "have a nice day!"

Mick also started writing novels. I finished his first "tietam brown" while i was in ny and am working on his second novel "scooter." he is a really talented writer, who will probably shock people due to his immense literary talent.

Mrs.BlackCrypt 07-18-2008 01:19 PM

I mainly read historical fiction, and usually the bodice rippers. I read before bed so don't usually go for a lot of heavier stuff. I might be starting something by Peter Straub soon? BC recommended it. To be honest, we discussed it in bed after I was drugged so it's all kinda hazy in my mind what I'll be reading. Oddly, I like inspirational historical fiction even. Janette Oke, Lori Wick. I started a 5 book series about Acadia and the ousting of the French to Louisana. The series spans from then until the Rev. War and is set in Acadia, Louisana, Boston, and England. I just finished the Love Comes Softly series and the Prarie Years series which are set mid to late 1800s and early 1900s. And then there is always the Malory novels by Johanna Lindsey. I also like the Alex Delaware novels by Jonathan Kellerman. And the Women's Murder Club series by Patterson is good.

I almost always have at least one fiction book and one non-fiction going at the same time. My non-fiction selections right now are a book on Tips on Better Living with RA, a book for nurses on chronic pain, and two RA magazines. Drool inducing if you're not interested in those subjects but highly fascinating to me. I am also half assed reading some ebooks on various rheumatology subjects.

Geaux Saints 07-18-2008 01:59 PM

Code:

Mrs. BC, you are a nurse?

BlackCrypt 07-18-2008 04:36 PM

I am just a few pages from finishing this....

I got half way through it, and found out it was actually a sequal, so I will be reading that next.

Side note, I am a major Stephan King fan.

Mrs.BlackCrypt 07-18-2008 04:40 PM

Code:

Nope, just have this long standing (21 years now-since I was 10 and found a "cool" nursing book on rheumatic diseases) insatiable drive to know as much as possible about rheumatoid arthritis, fibro, and chronic pain. It's kinda spread from just reading for my own curiosity to being the "newslady" and being the person people in the support group I'm in turn to when they need info they either have looked for and can't find OR just know it'll be easier to ask me to find it simply because I inherited a ton of resources and then continually build on them.

I'd have LOVED to go into the medical field somehow but RA prevented that. I'm too unreliable. I never know when I'll feel good. So, I do my part how I can. It's not much, but it gives me a feeling of being useful to more than BC and Mini-BC. Especially since I'm really not all that useful to them.

rdc2007 07-18-2008 04:55 PM

Code:

I did the same thing a few years back. Straub did a good job, though, because you can read them separately. I liked the first book better (Lost Boy Lost Girl).

maxbailey 07-18-2008 06:15 PM

Code:

Holy Shit, I think I'm in love.

Thomas 07-18-2008 06:24 PM

You guys are all gunna totally hate on me but i liked this book.
It def is not high-brow literature. Iceberg Slim is the true pulp fiction. Shit that Dolemite and all the blaxploitation films emulated. Plus it's his true story.

Code: