The Drunken stepFORUM - A place to discuss your worthless opinions

The Drunken stepFORUM - A place to discuss your worthless opinions (forum.drunkenstepfather.com/index.php)
-   I am - Music Discussion (forum.drunkenstepfather.com/forumdisplay.php?f=23)
-   -   What Happened to the Music in 2008 (forum.drunkenstepfather.com/showthread.php?t=14015)

trondi 01-08-2009 11:08 AM

What Happened to the Music in 2008

I don't know what happened to the music in 2008, but it seemed to be lacking.
Nothing sticks out to me except Glen Campbell's album Meet Glen Campbell.
Did I miss something? What do you think?
I am really looking forward to 2009's releases.

rdc2007 01-08-2009 11:28 AM

I so agree, man. Every year a few of my friends and I put together CD comps of our best of choices and I'm having a difficult time completing mine.

trondi 01-08-2009 11:38 AM

I know, even movies were kind of weak this year, except for the Dark Knight nothing was super oscar worthy to me.

satan666 01-08-2009 11:46 AM

Me three.

I can't think of any music that i thought really blew me away and i only saw maybe 5 movies in the theaters all year. I usually go to the movies at least 2 times a month but nothing compelled me to go...:o

gallow737 01-08-2009 11:57 AM

The only CD I actually bought this year was "The Tide and its Takers" by 36 Crazyfists. And I didn't download very many albums that came out this year either. All the music I'm listening to lately is old.

I've been on a Snot kick lately

rdc2007 01-08-2009 12:33 PM

Code:

Content, Pictures  and Download links visible to registered users only.

REGISTER NOW to access all areas that are invisible to non-members.

Me too but I'm taking medicine for that! :p

Fever 01-08-2009 01:05 PM

I couldn't agree more that there's been a death in the family.
I think the labels have only hurt themselves more with the emphasis on ringtone pop.
I know I'm a sounding like a crusty bastard to most, but when I really try to come up with my hits of '08, I realize I spent most my time growing into albums from the likes of Band of Horses, the Shins, the Raconteurs, Seether, etc.; which were not necessarily current releases.
Though I did enjoy some retro (my good ol' days) tunes from Candlebox & Buckcherry; new finds like Albert Hammond, Jr., and more reliables like the goods from Jack Johnson, Black Keys, were kind of hard to find.

trondi 01-08-2009 01:12 PM

Bands are blowing up to soon, and not given any time to grow.
Most of the greats would have never made it by todays StOOPid record company standards.

satan666 01-08-2009 01:21 PM

Code:

oh no doubt! Bands don't have the careers that they did in the past. I think that people's memories have grown so short as well....always searching for the next newest thing.

Back in the day, bands had longevity. These days a band might get to 3...if they get to 5 or more they are really doing well.

How many did zeppelin have? like over 30

trondi 01-08-2009 01:26 PM

Code:

Yes, I think people forget that Tom Sawyer wasn't Rushes first single.
Rollingstones, It was a long time between Exile on main street and tattoo you.