The Drunken stepFORUM - A place to discuss your worthless opinions

The Drunken stepFORUM - A place to discuss your worthless opinions (forum.drunkenstepfather.com/index.php)
-   I am - Your Home Team Sucks (forum.drunkenstepfather.com/forumdisplay.php?f=25)
-   -   Favorite MLB Team?/MLB Talk (forum.drunkenstepfather.com/showthread.php?t=4579)

beastley 05-16-2008 09:49 AM

Favorite MLB Team?/MLB Talk

Hokay, I know it's very cool to say you hate baseball because its boring/slow/etc/etc, but I'm making this thread for those who actually DO like baseball...so if you want to let us all know how much you hate it, please don't do it here.

I'll start off.

I love the Florida Marlins cuz they were the first team I ever heard of, growing up in So Fla.

It's sad we get no support, but that's basically because SOFLA is a bandwagon place. Everyone loves the Marlins when they win champs, but don't care afterwards.

I'm glad the Marlins wrapped up Hanley, cuz he's probably one of the best players in the league.

PS I figure I won't get many replies b/c it doesn't seem like most of the people on the forums care about baseball, but I figured it was worth a shot.

Peace

Shasturbator 05-16-2008 09:51 AM

fuckin CUBS!!!!!!!!!!

this is the year!!!!

this is the year!!!!

SexyLion 05-16-2008 09:55 AM

Was a Yankee fan of the utmost, but when Thurman Munsan died, well, I drifted away from them...then my Dad got Mets season tickets and well, been a Met fan ever since.

Wifey is a big Mets fan too.

beastley 05-16-2008 10:04 AM

Seriously?

How can you go from Yanks to Mets?

I'm no NY sports guru and I realize they're not even in the same league, but I'm pretty sure that's not too cool...

binary_jester 05-16-2008 10:09 AM

Huge Diamondbacks fan. Lived in Arizona their first season. Lived and died the year they won the world series.

RvP 05-16-2008 10:12 AM

We dont get MLB in the UK but even we know that Yankee to Mets is a big no no lol:D

Its like in soccer over here , going from Arsenal to Spurs, you would get stabbed for doing it here lol

dragosani 05-16-2008 10:26 AM

I live near Detroit..... The home of the most overhyped team up until the first game was played this season.... The best thing about this years team is listening to the interviews with Jim Leyland.

sportster 05-16-2008 10:33 AM

I'm a huge fan of the game, but not of any one team.

idahotransplant 05-16-2008 11:56 AM

Yes, I'm prepared to take my beating for this, but I'm a Pirates fan. Born and raised in Pittsburgh and they happened to be good when I started watching sports as a kid. Every year they sucker me in with new pitchers and young kids that are going to break out and every year I leave disappointed. By the way, they're 8-2 in the last 10 and 1 game under .500, so I'm waiting for a nice 7 game losing streak

djtron77 05-16-2008 01:02 PM

hey, long-time lurker (ahem...downloader of music) first-time poster.

I'm a huge marlins fan as well. try to go to as many road games as i can every year. last year i was 0-8 (ouch!) but i did visit pittsburgh and, well, the pirates have a kickass stadium.

any baseball fans on here think the DH is total crap like i do? national league all the way.

dogstain 05-16-2008 01:15 PM

Go Blue!!!

idahotransplant 05-16-2008 01:48 PM

Code:

Content, Pictures  and Download links visible to registered users only.

REGISTER NOW to access all areas that are invisible to non-members.

That they do. It would be nice to see it filled up more than just bobblehead and fireworks night though. Pittsburghers love their sports so much that it's frustrating to see the Pirates suck for so many years. All it would take is one good season contending for the playoffs and that stadium would be packed like the Pens have theirs now.

beastley 05-16-2008 02:01 PM

wow i can't believe there is another marlins fan on the boards...
i agree with u, fuck the dh...there's no need for it, but to put more runs on the board(ie, make more money cuz fans love the long ball(along with chicks))

goonarms 05-16-2008 02:04 PM

I haven't gotten into baseball since i was young but now because of fantasy baseball I've taken a liking to the Pirates!

binary_jester 05-16-2008 02:21 PM

I grew up on national league and I hate the DH, although more and more AL teams don't rely on the log ball so much.

Sucks being stuck here in MN. AL baseball in a real shitty stadium.

idahotransplant 05-16-2008 02:22 PM

Code:

That seems like it can't possibly be a true statement. Until this year the only Pirate worth a crap was Jason Bay (and one year of Freddy Sanchez, but who saw that coming). At least this year we've got Nate McLouth, Bay, Xavier Nady and now Adam Laroche since April is over. Oh, and a few pitchers like Matt Capps

Soze 05-16-2008 02:24 PM

big brewers fan here. the team's heading out to boston for what should be a pretty interesting series this weekend

beastley 05-16-2008 02:29 PM

Code:

yeah i play fantasy a lot and i agree with idaho....this was the only year i had a pirates player on one of my teams..and that just bay, hoping for a bounceback.

idahotransplant 05-16-2008 02:30 PM

Jump on the Nate McLouth bandwagon now. It's filling up fast. There's no way he can continue to hit like he has all year, but damn he's tearing it up so far.

beastley 05-16-2008 02:47 PM

too late, hes been taken all across the board. i didnt expect him to be THIS successful, or i would have gotten him before...

Stl 05-16-2008 03:45 PM

St. Louis Cardinals

I think you guys can figure who I like based off my screen name.

I have grown up watching them. My mom and I would sit and watch there games all the time. I find it fitting that she passed away 2 months after they won the world series in 2006 prior to that they hadnt won one since 1982 1 year after I was born.

I love the fact we have there double A team right here in Springfield. there stadium is only 3 miles from my house.

They were picked to be the worst team in the NL central this year.. They have played pretty good prior to the last couple games.

I do hope Chicago wins the WS so they will shut up for another 100 years

salutationsb 05-16-2008 04:04 PM

Atlanta Braves fan here, which can get interesting seeing as how im in NY!

drunkenstepbrother 05-16-2008 04:19 PM

Mets

Long-time suffering Mets fan. Started following the team in 84 when I was a kid, right about the time Dwight and Darryl started lining up rails. After 86, I was sold, and since then things have not been great. The Fire Willie countdown is in full effect.

Screw the DH, and domed stadiums. And I understand fans going from the Yanks to the Mets, but if it had been the other way around...

gallow737 05-16-2008 04:53 PM

Code:

I'm with ya. Cubs fan here. HUUUUUUGGGGGGEEEEEEEEE baseball fanatic, too. I lost interest in the sport after 1998, then regained interest in 2003 with the Cubs resurgence to the NLCS, and also with my participation in a Fantasy Baseball league. Fantasy Baseball has turned me into a numbers freak. It's also the greatest thing in the world, and I love it to death.

Other than that, Cubs fan since conception, used to go to Cubs games every summer when I would visit my grandmother in Chicago. Went last year for the first time in nearly 10 years, sat behind home plate for a Cubs vs. Reds game and sat in the bleachers for a Cubs vs. Cards game. Greatest place on earth.

Geovany Soto is also my hero.

n8van2 05-16-2008 11:22 PM

Code:

Söze, I am a huge fan too!! The Sox are my second team, I fell in love with their story back in 04 and can't get enough of them since. There is nothing I'd rather see more than for The Crew to sweep the series:D

Shasturbator 05-17-2008 12:27 AM

Code:

lets take this shit to the thunderdome bitch....you guys get lucky and you wanna bag on us?!?! lets go!!!!!

beastley 05-17-2008 12:32 AM

speaking of the cubs, how bout steve bartman helping the fish beat the cubs and win another championship???

yeahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh that was awesome.
i was ready to give up till he fucked with moises.

idahotransplant 05-17-2008 12:34 AM

Shasturbator, I really hope the cubs don't win the series any time soon and here's why. I'd hate for everyone from Chicago to turn into a complete douche bag (sorry megadouche) like all those fuckers from Boston. Do you know any Boston sports fans you can stand to be around for more than 3 seconds? I don't. Here's to staying a loser that people still like.

Shasturbator 05-17-2008 12:54 AM

Code:

so you think going longer will make it easier? IF the Cubs win the series...I WILL TALK TRASH BIG TIMEI didn't celebrate the White Sox win, I'm still holding on to my Jordan days....ahhh, MJ and the Bulls....I cried with Grace when he left...

idahotransplant 05-17-2008 12:57 AM

At least the cubs sniff around the playoffs every few years. All I've got are childhood memories of Andy Van Slyke, Doug Drabek, Spanky LaVallierre and Barry Bonds (back when he was normal size). Let's Go Pens and Steelers!

Five Inch Taint 05-17-2008 01:51 AM

Never been to New York but been a Mets fan since the days of Wally Backman and Howard Johnson. I thought they would be doing better this year,

mathiaswvu 05-17-2008 12:59 PM

Code:

yeah the skids come too often and too long when you're a Buccos fan...at least the pens and steelers make the other seasons enjoyable.

gallow737 05-17-2008 02:19 PM

Code:

I played little league with Andy Van Slykes son. He was a cool guy. I also have a bunch of Neal Heaton memorabilia.

As for the Cubs. If they win a championship, the next season I will not act like a Boston fan, and I'd dare to think that a lot of Cubs fans won't. Boston acts like their shit doesn't stink. Cubs fans have been so accustomed to losing that if they did win, they'd immediately start thinking "Okay, how many decades before we win another one". At least I would. I'm a Cubs optimist, but I've also been a Cubs fan since conception so I know better than to think the Cubs are the greatest team in the world. I'll gloat if they win, yes, but I won't start talking shit the next season until they can prove they're still good.

But that's just me

TylerB 05-18-2008 08:39 AM

Lets go Blue Jays

mhump23 05-18-2008 07:05 PM

I live in the Bay Area, but am a lifelong Atlanta Braves fan.

My wife is an Oakland A's fan so I have adopted them as my local favorite, but the Braves will always be my team.

When I was in college in the 80's they used to suck and no one would go to the games, so we'd get tickets cheap and sit where ever we wanted. Many a Saturday and Sunday I have spent dressed up like a frickin' Indian drunk as shit trash talking some other team while it was beating the hell out of my poor Bravos. Especially Lasorda and the Dodgers. Those were the days......

Randal Graves 05-18-2008 09:37 PM

Code:

Reminds me of a quote from Green Street Hooligans.

Millwall and West Ham firms hate each other
more than any other firms.

- Sort of like the Yankees and the Red Sox.
- More like the Israelis and the Palestinians.

Cactus Jack 05-19-2008 12:02 AM

yankees! im going to the yanks vs. redsox 4th of july weekend. its gonna be my first time at yankee stadium.

jizzay 05-19-2008 12:23 AM

Code:

I am going to Yankee Stadium to watch the Reds and the Yankess next month. sad to see Yankee Stadium go but I will enjoy when my Reds put the wrecking ball to the place.

Go Reds!

gpippo 05-19-2008 08:21 AM

Grew up a fan of the Tigers as a result of living in the area and stayed a fan through the years (it could be worse, they could be the Lions):rolleyes: . However, because of those miserable 20 years from the late 80's up till 2006, I drifted some what and also became a fan of the Atlanta Braves. This Braves thing was probably a result of TNT televising every game imaginable and my like of pitching.

SexyLion 05-19-2008 09:05 AM

How about those METS!!!!

And by the way, as bad as the Yanks are, they are still a million times better the the sad sack reds, so Jizz, good luck taking a wrecking ball to them.