The Drunken stepFORUM - A place to discuss your worthless opinions

The Drunken stepFORUM - A place to discuss your worthless opinions (forum.drunkenstepfather.com/index.php)
-   I am - Peer Validation (forum.drunkenstepfather.com/forumdisplay.php?f=38)
-   -   What book are you reading right now? (forum.drunkenstepfather.com/showthread.php?t=59457)

Mrs.BlackCrypt 07-18-2008 06:29 PM

Truthfully, as long as people ARE reading, which is seeming to be a lost thing now, who cares what their choices are? Just the fact they do read is something.

d_b_99 07-18-2008 07:21 PM

Fable by William Faulkner. It's about WWI and mutiny in the French ranks (sort of like the Kirk Douglas movie Paths of Glory). It uses the setting to get at the reality of war and what it means.

It's a very tough read but I enjoy the book. It won the pulitzer prize in 1955 and Faulkner won a Nobel prize for literature.

Marie-Eve Martinez 07-18-2008 07:23 PM

Code:

Content, Pictures  and Download links visible to registered users only.

REGISTER NOW to access all areas that are invisible to non-members.

You are TOTALLY right.

towdog 07-18-2008 09:20 PM

Got 2 going.

Star Wars - Invincible
Death and Honor by W.E.B. Griffin.

Geaux Saints 07-19-2008 12:12 AM

Code:

What's the Star Wars one about?

towdog 07-19-2008 10:31 PM

Code:

It's the last book in the Legacy of the Force Series. Han and Leia's oldest son is a Sith Lord bent on ruling the galaxy and his twin sister has decided that she has to kill him. Decent series.

Badcat 07-19-2008 10:57 PM

Code:

Both excellent books.

I am starting a new position at work as a supervisor and have been given a bunch of leadership books to read from the company.

21 Irrefutable Laws of Leadership and Winning with People both by John C. Maxwell topped the list...good books for dealing with people. I'm about to start What Every Manager Should Know About Training.

Geaux Saints 07-19-2008 11:13 PM

Code:

Sounds pretty good. I got so far behind on the SW books, I just gave up.

mhump23 07-20-2008 01:06 AM

I'm reading The Confusion by Neal Stephenson. It's Book 2 in his three volume Baroque Cycle. Just finished the first one - Quicksilver. Interesting historical fiction with tons fact that after the first book seems to center around the theme of money, why is there money, why we value and set values to things...along with alchemy, the history of banking, and Sir Isaac Newton all thrown in. It even has lots of pirates and whores in it! Whewww!

Tough read but fascinating and very rewarding. It is as they say a rousing yarn!

To quote stephen King in the book Cell: "Neal Stephenson is a God!"

btman 07-20-2008 03:00 AM

Just wanted to thank people posting in this thread.. I haven't read in a while and it's about time I should read again. I'll probably pick one of these books up within the next few days to read.