The Drunken stepFORUM - A place to discuss your worthless opinions

The Drunken stepFORUM - A place to discuss your worthless opinions (forum.drunkenstepfather.com/index.php)
-   I am - Peer Validation (forum.drunkenstepfather.com/forumdisplay.php?f=38)
-   -   What book are you reading right now? (forum.drunkenstepfather.com/showthread.php?t=59457)

Geaux Saints 07-18-2008 10:19 AM

What book are you reading right now?

I'm not a big reader (except DSF forums :) ), but a doctor friend of mine suggested a good book for anyone who has a daughter. The book is STRONG FATHERS, STRONG DAUGHTERS by Dr. Meg Meeker. It is scary to me to realize how much of an influence a father has on his daughter and how much she looks up to me and how important my interaction with her as she grows up makes such a difference in how she develops in life (especially in the kind of world that we live in today). One part I read last night really hit home. It said...

"From the moment you set eyes on her wet-from-the-womb body until she leaves your home, the clock starts ticking. It's the clock that times your hours with her, your opportunities to influence her, to shape her character, and to help her find herself- and to enjoy living."

So far it is a good read.

Marie-Eve Martinez 07-18-2008 10:29 AM

I fucking DEVOUR books, I always have, ever since I was a kid.

Just finished reading Hannibal the last book in the Thomas Harris series (Silence of the Lambs etc) It was amazing.

Just started Hunting Badger, which is part of a series by this dude Tony Hillerman about two Navajo Tribal police officers on the reservation in New Mexico. Kind of murder mysteries meet Native Indian Fokelore. This one is about a big robbery that takes place and they can't find the culprits. This guy writes amazing "whodunnits:, if you're into that.

Currently reading Opening to Channel, which is supposed to help you learn to connect with your "spirit guide" or "higher self" and supposedly will help you accelerate to enlightenment.

I thought the DSF forum was all the enlightenment I needed, but this book seems to be saying otherwise...Hmmmm..

Oh I'm also reading a book of short murder stories by Canadian writer Max Haines called Bothersome Bodies.

Okay, you can make fun of me for being a geek now....

LingeringLonger 07-18-2008 10:36 AM

Books

Unfortunately, I am reading a lot of adolescent literature (yes let the flaming begin) because i am a 7th grade English teacher. Most of the new books are a little disturbing with the sexual content.

Just finished the first two books in the Twilight series and they are surprisingly good.

Time Traveller's Wife was great as was The Dante Club. Both are for gwon ups...Mall by Eric Bogosian was one of the best books I have read in a great long while.

Geaux Saints 07-18-2008 10:42 AM

You're like my wife, M-EM...she can read multiple books at once. She loves to read. I have to do them one at a time and I'm a slow reader. She can finish a book in a week or less.

Shasturbator 07-18-2008 10:45 AM

SexyLion 07-18-2008 10:45 AM

Reading John Sandford latest Prey book.

Striker 07-18-2008 10:57 AM

Code:

Content, Pictures  and Download links visible to registered users only.

REGISTER NOW to access all areas that are invisible to non-members.

Nice! Great series. I'm only about 5 books into it but it's on my to do list.

I think the last book I read was Night Stalkers.

I have a bad habit of buying books and then losing interest in them. I have about 7 or 8 books on my shelf that I just am not interested in reading.

fin 07-18-2008 11:03 AM

I'm taking a break from "real" books and re-reading The Dark Knight Returns by Frank Miller.

Marie-Eve Martinez 07-18-2008 11:24 AM

Code:

Content, Pictures  and Download links visible to registered users only.

REGISTER NOW to access all areas that are invisible to non-members.

haha

Homo

(I'm kidding)

If you have any control over what they read, hit them with some classics:

To Kill a Mocking Bird
Lord of the Flies
A Tree Grows in Brooklyn (may be too advanced for 7th grade)
Animal Farm

Those are all books that blew me away at that age.

I've been wanting to read that Twilight series, but haven't got around to it. I've heard so many good things about it though.

Sean of the Dead 07-18-2008 11:28 AM

finished Dan Browns Angels and Deamons about to start Grishams testament