The Drunken stepFORUM - A place to discuss your worthless opinions

The Drunken stepFORUM - A place to discuss your worthless opinions (forum.drunkenstepfather.com/index.php)
-   I am - Music Discussion (forum.drunkenstepfather.com/forumdisplay.php?f=23)
-   -   Judas Priest (forum.drunkenstepfather.com/showthread.php?t=7160)

BlackCrypt 07-05-2008 09:56 PM

Judas Priest is the most overated band ever.

Discuss

randomhoudini 07-05-2008 10:01 PM

I never got the fascination with them. They did a few OK songs but other than that, I see nothing special. Nothing special at all. Don't get me wrong, Halford has a good set of pipes on him but good pipes alone do not make a classic band.

fuzzy_warbles 07-05-2008 10:10 PM

I wouldn't want my son taking lessons from the drummer.

trondi 07-05-2008 10:57 PM

Code:

Content, Pictures  and Download links visible to registered users only.

REGISTER NOW to access all areas that are invisible to non-members.

Good one.
For those that don't know....
from Wikipedia. David (Dave) Holland (born on April 5, 1948 in Wolverhampton, Staffordshire) is an English rock drummer, best remembered from his stint with Judas Priest. He is currently in prison for attempted child rape of a wheelchair bound, 17 year old boy. [1] A jury found Holland guilty of one charge of attempted rape and five counts of indecent assault of a teenage boy who was taking drum lessons at Holland's house.

satan666 07-05-2008 10:58 PM

holy shit! man, that blows my mind!

i never knew that

randomhoudini 07-05-2008 11:00 PM

How is it child rape if the kid was 17?

trondi 07-05-2008 11:22 PM

First I ask respectfully BlackCrypt, why do you think so?
Second, I don't think that is true.

I don't think that Judas Priest have made what I would call a great album since "Screaming For Vengance". "Defenders Of The Faith" was pretty good and "Turbo" had a few good tunes. Live , Priest always comes off kind of bored, or boring, and Rob Halford sings out of key a lot. Based on the longevity of their career, and the quantity of quality records they made, I think they were, if anything a bit under rated.
Go back and listen to their albums from the beginning.
"Rocka Rolla"
"Sad Wings of Destiny"
"Sin After Sin"
"Stained Class"
"Hell Bent For Leather"
"British Steel"
"Point of entry"
"Screaming For Vengeance"
"Defenders of the Faith"
"Turbo"
That is a pretty impressive body of work, my man. There are bands that don't have 10 good songs let alone 10 good albums.
The song writing has always been pretty good. Glen Tipton's guitar solos' have always been pretty cool. I think a great example of ability and taste.
Halford's vocals are always pretty cool.
And it seemed for awhile, save for "Turbo" the music got progressively heavier, and heavier. Check out Halford's solo project "FIGHT" even heavier than "Priest".
The song "Screaming For Vengeance" is still one of the hardest, heaviest, and angriest sounding songs out there , and it is from 1982.
I rest my case.
http://www.drunkenstepfather.com/for...t=judas+priest

trondi 07-05-2008 11:24 PM

Code:

The kid is retarded.

dogstain 07-05-2008 11:29 PM

While I certainly don't listen to much Priest nowadays, back in their heyday, they were a force to be reckoned with. I saw them live on the Stained Class tour and they were nothing short of amazing. To me though, Hell Bent for Leather was the start of their not so gradual slide into mediocrity.

randomhoudini 07-06-2008 12:06 AM

Code:

Surely that's some other charge.
I'm just being a picky bitch really. And no matter how old the kid was he's a sick fuck. I hope that a big rapey fellow finds his pooper attractive.

dogstain 07-06-2008 12:20 AM

Code:

Do you think the drummer was corn holing Halford all this time? We all know Halford is a flaming queer, right?

trondi 07-06-2008 08:53 AM

Code:

I think the kid was 15 when it happened. I remember hearing it on the radio a few years ago.

I am sure the drummer was only corn holing Halford only when You were listening to them.;) Or at least on most of "Turbo". Maybe that is why Rob left the band, bad breakup.

Everyone knows that drummers are weird mofo's anyway.

scampr 07-07-2008 04:10 AM

overrated how?

Never critically acclaimed. Never media darlings. They didn't really get any due until recently! They have a fervent fan base. But then again if your fans like you then they are rating you appropriately. I don't know that they are the finest technicians out there but they certainly don't suck. And Halford, who is old as hell has an amazing voice. Go back and listen to Dreamer Deceiver and tell me Halford is over-rated. Of metal/hard rock vocalists probably only Tate and Khan can do 4 octaves consistently. I think their longevity is a testament to their talent as songwriters and musicians. They have grown and brought varied approaches to their music throughout the last 40 years without getting too weird. I'm not a big fan of Turbo or Ram It Down but it certainly brought accessibility to metal for a lot of people who weren't giving it a chance. And then they ripped us to shreds with Painkiller and the two newer albums. You've Got Another Thing Comin' could maybe sway some of you to call them overrated. It has been beat to death. But you gotta keep that in context too. That song is likely one of the only songs done by an actual metal band that the general public ever got exposed to in a major way. By the time most people heard the Crue they had forgotten metal! But the final testament shouldn't come from any of us on here (unless there are some day jobs we don't know about).
Just look up the tracklists for these tribute albums and ask the bands and musicians you find on there how overrated Priest is:

Legends Of Metal (1997, Century Media) - exists as Vol. I and Vol. II for the European release; US release is actually a compilation of both volumes in a slighly different artwork packaging
Hell Bent For Metal (1999, Dwell Records)
Metal Gods (2000, Zero Records)
Delivering The Goods (2000, Century Media)
Hell Bent For Metal 2 (2000, Dwell Records)
Worship Judas Priest (2001, Guano Records)
An Industrial Tribute To Judas Priest (2001, Cleopatra Records)
A Tribute to the Priest (2002, Nuclear Blast)
Mirada Electrica (2004, OGHMI)
Acero Argentino (2006, Doble B)
On Your Knees (2007, Crimson Mask)
The Beast of Judas Priest

No informed metal fan would ever say Priest was overrated.

bbanner 07-07-2008 12:16 PM

They definitely aren't overrated. I love Priest, I think they're doing a show over the summer with Motorhead, Black Sabbath (w/ Dio), and some others... in Jersey. Anyone else hear about this? I'm thinking of going.

Bam-Bam 07-07-2008 12:58 PM

Code:

Metal Masters Tour featuring Judas Priest, Heaven and Hell, Motorhead, Testament.

Saturday, August 9, 2008
PNC Bank Arts Center

bbanner 07-08-2008 09:37 AM

Code:

Hell yea! This is what I was talking about. I'm planning on going, you have any idea when tix go on sale? or am I too late?

Bam-Bam 07-08-2008 10:20 AM

Code:

I think they are on sale and still available.

http://www.livenation.com/event/getE...ventId/326145/

bbanner 07-09-2008 09:49 AM

Code:

thanks for the link!

Sickboy76 07-09-2008 11:16 PM

Code:

I think you don't know FUCK ALL about music!! with a statement like that.
that is MY opinion.

randomhoudini 07-09-2008 11:22 PM

Code:

Why? Because everyone tells you that they're a fantastic band and should be put on a pedestal? In my opinion they are nothing more than an average metal band with an above average vocalist. Electric Eye is a good song but that's about it. They did nothing revolutionary. Besides have an openly gay singer but other than that...

Sickboy76 07-09-2008 11:41 PM

Code:

That is why they are called opinions, Lad cause everyone has got one.
touche!

I just believe that they have Influenced many a great metal bands of the 90's and 00's Little bands like Pantera, Megadeth, Metallica and SlipknoT and so on and so on. Just because you do not like does not mean that they did not influence many many of bands that some say are the best of all time. In there genere of music.

randomhoudini 07-09-2008 11:45 PM

Code:

I fail to see anything Priest in Slipknot, Metallica haven't been good since before I was born and Pantera are fantastically overrated. Megadeth too. So I have to disagree with you on them being influential. On big bands anyway. To me they will always be a band that struck lucky. Like Def Leppard or limp bizkit. Nothing special.

Sickboy76 07-09-2008 11:48 PM

Code:

:confused:

randomhoudini 07-09-2008 11:51 PM

C'mon sickboy, I thought this was a music discussion thread. That's no way to reply.

Sickboy76 07-09-2008 11:52 PM

Code:

sorry you have just confused me that's all.
BTW how old are you?

randomhoudini 07-09-2008 11:54 PM

I was born in '88. ...And Justice For All came out a few months before I was born. It was Metallica's last decent album. To me anyway.

trondi 07-10-2008 12:11 AM

Code:

Easy Sickboy76. He ain't trying to put Priest down, BlackCrypt wants to be informed.

Instead of attacking, convince, discuss, open the mans eyes to the truth.

scampr 07-10-2008 01:37 AM

really?

Code:

I don't think you can have modern metal without understanding the COMBINED influence of Sabbath, Priest and Deep Purple. Priest brought a world class operatic voice to rock that no one had seen before. Even Ian Gillan can't do what Halford can do because he can't drop an octave. Priest bought SPEED and still brings it. And Priest showed you can have varying song styles on the same hard album and make it work well. THESE are the reason why metal bands from nearly all subgenres hail them as founding fathers of the metal scene. I don't think any of us are arguing that Judas Priest is the greatest metal act ever. The question is are they over rated? I think most reasonable metal fans, when objectively reviewing the facts would conclude that they were never over-rated. [No critical acclaim (fuck most hard acts never get any acclaim until they're dead). No high charting on billboard. No media frenzy by the major mags like RollingStone. No paparazzi following them like todays no-talent wankers]. And were likely under-rated and continue to be by people who don't follow rock history or have never heard more than a couple of their singles on the lame radio stations we have that have maybe 3 singles in their entire catalogue file. As I alluded to in my previous post - don't take my word for it. Talk to some actual metal musicians - preferrably ones that are over 18 and who are intelligent and perhaps actually have published something. For I have met people who think nothing happened in music before the 90s.

OR...

go borrow RDC's fine submission from 1976 and then compare it to the top albums of 1976:

Breezin' - George Benson
Chicago IX - Chicago's Greatest Hits - Chicago
Desire - Bob Dylan
The Dream Weaver - Gary Wright
Fleetwood Mac
Frampton Comes Alive! - Peter Frampton
Gratitude - Earth, Wind & Fire
Greatest Hits 1971-1975 - Eagles
History - America's Greatest Hits - America
A Night At The Opera - Queen
A Night On The Town - Rod Stewart
Presence - Led Zeppelin
Silk Degrees - Boz Scaggs
Songs In The Key Of Life - Stevie Wonder
Wings At The Speed Of Sound - Wings

randomhoudini 07-10-2008 05:02 AM

Code:

You mean Nirvana didn't invent music?

I see what you mean, I think I was just being a bit argumentative. I don't know about anywhere else in the world but over here the metal/rock rags all treat Priest like they invented metal. I think my main problem with them is the fact that for the last years I've had them rammed down my throat by said magazines. It's over exposure, like Iron Maiden. I can't stand Maiden for the sole reason that every time Bruce Dickinson breathes it gets reported. Not that modern music is any better. But here is not the place for that.

rdc2007 07-10-2008 08:59 AM

Code:

And what the hell's wrong with Bruce Dickinson's breathing? Everybody knows he's the best goddam breather in metal today. Everyone else just copies Bruce!

Nah, j/k! :p

trondi 07-10-2008 09:15 AM

Code:

But..........they kind of did.

bbanner 07-10-2008 09:55 AM

Judas Priests was one of the greatest metal bands ever, hands down. Not because someone told me, but because thats how I feel. They have much better songs than electric eye btw

Bam-Bam 07-10-2008 10:00 AM

Code:

I concur - I think Electric Eye is one of their lamest songs.

Sickboy76 07-10-2008 01:36 PM

Code:

Well said! Take in concideration that randomhoudini was born in 1988! so that explains alot to me. I mean he was only a teenager in the early 00's so......

Sickboy76 07-10-2008 01:39 PM

Code:

I know, I was not trying to be hurt full in my comments, I somtimes take offense to people who insult the music that I love. sometimes I type before thinking about what to type and so for that I appologise.
Cheers to all and to all good day!

randomhoudini 07-10-2008 06:20 PM

Code:

But what about that little known band called Black Sabbath?

Code:

Not to my ears. But I suppose that's kind of the point isn't it? It'd be shitty if we all liked the same damn songs and bands. That's kind of what makes this section work, the whole discussion aspect.

scampr 07-10-2008 06:26 PM

are you only reading select posts?

Code:

That little know band called Black Sabbath is one of a handful of bands most people look to as the founding fathers of metal. If all we had was Sabbath we'd be running round listening to a bunch of stoner fuzz rock. And we wouldn't have a whole lot of speed. Children of the Grave was probably the fastest song they did and it was the only one on Master of Reality like it. Heck Fu Manchu is faster than old Sabbath. Iommi and the boys didn't speed it up til Heaven and Hell, coincidentally that was AFTER Priest had been around for a dozen years or so.

randomhoudini 07-10-2008 06:28 PM

Code:

A very valid point. Maybe it's the home town pride kicking in again.

scampr 07-10-2008 06:43 PM

hm

Code:

Wow that's quite interesting? Never heard anyone say that.

Do you generally like Judas Priest?
When did you first get into them?
What three(or more) songs are your favorites?

I'm an old fuck so I've seen them through all their stages and I like stuff from all eras. My favorite song is probably Painkiller. It's fuckin fast and it has a real passion in it (a song has gotta have some pull in there somewhere, the band has to seem like it means a little something to them, not just that they can technically master the riff) and it makes me wanna drink, fuck, fight or drive my 300 too fuckin fast and not in any particular order.

Judas Is Rising (for similar reasons)

Delivering the Goods (sucker for a good blues riff)

All Guns Blazing

Desert Plains (a good mellow song - shows they can do some other things)

The Ripper/Dream Deceiver/Victim of Changes (because that's the first album I heard by them)

Bam-Bam 07-10-2008 07:55 PM

Code:

I've been a huge Judas Priest fan since I was 11 (I'm an old fuck also - I cut school in 9th grade to wait in line and buy Defenders of the Faith).

They used to open a lot of their shows with Electric Eye, maybe that is why I think it is lame (although I do not hate the song).

1st album I had from them was Unleashed in the East - Played it until the grooves were flat on the LP.

Favorite Album is still Sad Wings. Although I like them all. I even like Ram it Down.

Delivering the Goods (kicks ass!)

Island of Domination (Halford's voice is unbelievable in this song)

Winter/Deep Freeze/Winter Retreat/Cheater (Just love the song)

Last Rose of Summer (super cool mellow song)

Better By You Better Than Me (I love the riff in that song)

Hell Patrol (I love the whole Painkiller album)

Over the years I think I have seen Priest about a dozen times. Saw them a couple of years ago on Ozzfest and they still kicked ass!!