forum stepTV stepSTALKER sweatshop email Home

Go Back   The Drunken stepFORUM - A place to discuss your worthless opinions > General Discussion: > I am - Getting Drunk & Molesting You > I am - Your Home Team Sucks

Old 08-05-2008, 11:26 PM
Cooler than a polar bear's toenails

Credits: 9,813
tlock is starting to gain some momentum on DSF

You also have to look at it from a brand standpoint. Zuffa wants to have two separate brands, so they need a way to differentiate them that doesn't diminish the WEC ie people considering it a minor/developmental league. I've heard down the road they might do PPV for WEC, but I think that is 1-2 years away and it would be more likely to have a super show that could show off Torres, Faber, and the UFC talent.

Originally Posted by badmedicine09
I've been avoiding results all day. tlock, you are a God amongst men, thank you.

All of my posts are not my links...
Old 08-05-2008, 11:36 PM
Fundamentals are a crutch for the talentless

Credits: 12,674
effjay will become famous soon enougheffjay will become famous soon enougheffjay will become famous soon enough

I think if the UFC decides to not expand their own brand into the lower weight classes, then the WEC could definitely put on a premier PPV with some of their lighter weight classes. Faber and Torres are real deals, and if they were able to get some more fighters from over seas in those weight classes over in WEC they'd DEFINITELY have enough to put on a PPV.

What will be interesting to see is if Zuffa, and to a lesser extent UFC, at some point, sees that they could really make more money consolidating their product and adding those lighter classes to UFC would just further their hold on American MMA product. Shit, you throw a 145 weight class at BJ, I'm sure he'd love to fight Faber (although, hasn't Faber trained with BJ? I think he did prior to the Pulver fight but I'm not sure...) I like keeping them separate, personally, but I'm also not sure how committed to that idea the UFC really is. . .only time will tell.
Old 08-06-2008, 12:21 AM
paris gave me herpes

Credits: 1,553
btman is starting to gain some momentum on DSF

Anyone else excited to see Brock Lesners 2nd fight?

If he loses I give up hope. But shit I have faith in the former WWE Champ!
Old 08-06-2008, 12:24 AM

effjay will become famous soon enougheffjay will become famous soon enougheffjay will become famous soon enough

Code:
Content, Pictures  and Download links visible to registered users only. 

REGISTER NOW to access all areas that are invisible to non-members.
You won't be the only one losing hope, I'm sure Dana will be losing a bit of hope as well. . .I'm pulling for him, but I could really see that fight going either way. I liked him matching up against Coleman a lot better than against Herring.
Old 08-06-2008, 08:18 AM
i have seen a vagina, and it was expensive

Credits: 701
Omaplata is starting to gain some momentum on DSF

Code:

Make sure the bank is not one of my clients please. I'd hate to have a conflict of interest
Old 08-06-2008, 08:27 AM

Code:

Faber trains with BJ for some of his fights. That said, BJ probably could make 145, but he wouldn't. BJ didn't like to fight at 155 because of the dieting/cutting. He's just now got his mental game right, but he's always preferred to fight heavier guys. In his opinion, he wants to fight the best in the world, and those fighters are heavier in weight (which is why he'll be fighting St. Pierre again in December). You could see guys like Cole Miller and Joe Lauzon move down to 145 though. Din Thomas as well.
Old 08-06-2008, 08:44 AM

Code:

Here's a little video of St. Pierre against Leo Santos at Abu Dhabi (the worlds best no gi submission grappling tournament in the world). I just post it here for everyone to see some world class jiu jitsu. On a side note, St. Pierre as since spent a lot of time training with Renzo Gracie (John Danaher specifically) and trained at Gracie Barra in Brazil for his upcoming fight.
Old 08-06-2008, 01:43 PM
the burning and itching has stopped

Credits: 1,480
Wandering is starting to gain some momentum on DSF

Code:

I am hoping Brock loses.

Nothing against Brock, it would just be a little lame if someone with little experience can roll through experienced and skilled opponents mainly due to brute force; Although Brock does have the experience in traditional wrestling.

Herring has a ton of experience fighting, well getting beat, by top guys and has finally started focusing on the strength/conditioning/diet aspects of his game; His skill should hopefully be able to overcome the shear physicality of Brock.

I'm a big fan of fights where the more skilled opponent beats the bigger opponent, as it fits with how I think of Martial Arts in general to be. Skill > Strength & Size.

The betting lines are nuts on this fight though. Payout of 2 to 1 on Herring, which is nuts. Brock is way to much of an unknown to support him being a 2 to 1 favorite over a guy who almost KO'd Big Nog.
Old 08-06-2008, 01:50 PM

The betting lines are pretty crazy, but I can tell you one thing, as much as I think Herring could pull this off I do not think that betting on that fight is a good idea. IS anyone really that confident that Herring is going to beat Brock? He looked alright against Mir and, before I get slammed by Soze, I understand that Mir is far from the best measuring stick. But Brock was holding his own, showing that he does have incredible strength and if he is able to get a guy down is going to be relentless. I'll be interested to see how Brock's game has progressed and am just looking forward to watching the fight.
Old 08-06-2008, 01:53 PM

Code:

You do realize Herring has wins over Mark Kerr (an in-shape Kerr at that), Tom Erikson, and Igor Vovchanchyn, as well as other top-level fighters. Sure, Herring has lost some fights (to some of the best heavyweights in the world), but he's also beat some top competition.