forum stepTV stepSTALKER sweatshop email Home

Go Back   The Drunken stepFORUM - A place to discuss your worthless opinions > General Discussion: > I am - Getting Drunk & Molesting You > I am - Your Home Team Sucks

Old 04-05-2008, 08:39 AM
satan666

Credits: 0 [Check]
Default The 25 Toughest Athletes

The 25 Toughest Athletes
--Sports Illustrated

Let's start a barroom argument. Who are the toughest athletes in sports? Well, hang on a second. How do you define tough? The ability to take and deliver a shot or ten? To play hurt and still play well? The utter refusal to give in to pressure, circumstance, or more physically imposing foe? To dominate one's opponents or even one's sport? How about the ability to overcome serious personal setbacks, such as a dire injury or illness, and return to the highest level of performance? How about sheer longevity in a punishing, demanding game?

We've considered all of those things while sorting through long lists of worthy candidates. Our Top 25 (in order, says us) contains some surprising choices. We've also put together a list of current notables in the four major pro sports and a photo gallery of the greatest old school toughs -- legends who are no longer active, surely to the relief of their beleaguered foes.

1. Tiger Woods

What makes him tough: Otherworldly talent, determination and focus that enables him to dominate his sport at 64 PGA wins and counting, including a recent streak of seven in a row. No one is better at sealing the deal when the heat is highest.

Defining moment:
Winning by 11 strokes at Bay Hill in 2003 despite the ravages of food poisoning that made him greener than the winner's jacket at August and blowing chunks in the bushes between shots. He finished at 19 under. A mortal golfer would have been six under - as in feet.

Old school match: Jack Nicklaus, who had the same quiet intensity. closing kick and laser-like focus.

2. Lance Mackey

What makes him tough: Caginess and steadfast refusal to quit in the face of throat cancer (2001), hostile terrain and 40-below temperatures. He did the impossible in sled dog racing -- win the 1,000- mile Yukon Quest and 1,100-mile Iditarod within a month - not once, but in two straight years, most recently this year on frostbitten feet that hadn't fully healed after the Quest.

Defining moment:
Held off four-time winner Jeff King in the 2008 Iditarod by eschewing sleep and sneaking out of their lodging while his pursuer dozed to grab an insurmountable 54-minute lead in the final grueling climb on the coast of the Bering Sea.

Old school match:
Dick Mackey. Lance's father helped found the Iditarod and is the only musher to win the race in a photo finish (1978).

3. Anderson Silva

What makes him tough: You automatically qualify when people tab you as the world's best pound-for-pound mixed martial arts fighter. Silva is 6-0 in the UFC, and ranked No. 1 in pound-for-pound polls by Fight Magazine.

Defining moment:
Knocking out Cincinnati's hometown hero Rich Franklin last October in Ultimate Fighting Championship 77.

Old school match:
None. He's an original.

4. Bob Sanders

What makes him tough: Few NFL players get more out of their body than the 5-8 Colts safety, who hits with the force of a much larger man. At 27, he's in the prime of his career and brings presence on every play. "A lot of receivers know that when Bob is coming down, he's going to try to knock himself out -- or you out," says teammate Dwight Freeney.

Defining moment: His crushing first-quarter tackle of Bears running back Cedric Benson in Super Bowl XLI produced a fumble recovered by Freeney. Chicago had three three-and-outs and a fumbled snap on their next four possessions.

Old school match: Donnie Shell, the 5-11, 190 dynamo who controlled the middle of the field for the great Steelers defenses of the '70s.

5. Zdeno Chara

What makes him tough: If he were merely a fighter, he'd be the NHL heavyweight champ. If he were merely a shutdown defenseman, he'd be the Northeast blackout of 2003. Chara trains like a madman. When as fit as possible, he runs as fast, hard and long as he can until he collapses. He thinks athletes merely push themselves to 80 percent of their capabilities. He wants to find the outer limits.

Defining moment: He's too valuable to waste much time with fisticuffs, but when he does throw a punch, look out. Early in 2005, he busted Montreal enforcer Raitis Ivanans' jaw with a single blow.

Old school match:
. Given his Brobdingnagian stature (6' 9", 250), there's no hockey equivalent. You have to trawl the NBA, perhaps the 76ers' Luke Jackson of the late '60s or Charles Oakley of more recent vintage.

Read the rest of the list here -
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/200...hest.athletes/
Old 09-26-2008, 05:06 PM
Dicktowel.com

Credits: 88,490
beastley has much to be proud ofbeastley has much to be proud ofbeastley has much to be proud ofbeastley has much to be proud ofbeastley has much to be proud ofbeastley has much to be proud ofbeastley has much to be proud ofbeastley has much to be proud ofbeastley has much to be proud ofbeastley has much to be proud ofbeastley has much to be proud ofbeastley has much to be proud ofbeastley has much to be proud ofbeastley has much to be proud ofbeastley has much to be proud of

yo STAN, we should probably move this to the Home Team section...but for my money the toughest athlete out there is still Tiger...he played thru an injury to force the playoff and then won it? also, he's the most mentally tough
Old 09-26-2008, 05:47 PM
i have seen a vagina, and it was expensive

Credits: 8,073
Soze is being mentioned in polite conversation

okay, first off no one will ever convince me that tiger woods is tougher than ANY nfl player(outside of SOME kickers/punters of course). the guy is a freakin golfer who played through a bad knee. very impressive, incredible golfer but how can that be compared to brett favre playing football, a slightly more dangerous sport than golf, 3 and a half weeks after having 25 inches of his intestine removed following a car crash. not to mention his little streak he has going.

and here's another guy who makes tiger woods look like a 6 year girl, boxer juan carlos robles...
Code:
Content, Pictures  and Download links visible to registered users only. 

REGISTER NOW to access all areas that are invisible to non-members.

Last edited by Soze : 09-26-2008 at 07:04 PM.
Old 09-26-2008, 05:54 PM
Thank god for us bitter sacks of emotionless fucks. We are legendz!

Credits: 22,476
Trips is just really niceTrips is just really niceTrips is just really niceTrips is just really niceTrips is just really niceTrips is just really niceTrips is just really nice

He won an olympic medal in wrestling with a broken freaking neck
Old 09-26-2008, 06:03 PM
i have seen a vagina, and it was expensive

Credits: 8,073
Soze is being mentioned in polite conversation

that list is starting to make me angry the more i think about it. seriously these guys need to watch antonio margarito outlast miguel cotto in one of the most impressive displays of heart and toughness i have ever seen. yet they have money mayweather up there even though he turned down a fight with margarito because he has no where near the heart.

and how about antonio rodrigo nogueira?!?!! i know the mma guys will back me on this one. he was nearly killed after getting run over by a truck when he was a child, battled the best of the best in the hw division. got nearly killed by bob sapp, mirko cro cop, heath herring and tim sylvia yet still came out the victor due to sheer heart and toughness. add to that he is nearly blind in one eye and was never finished in a fight and it shows you how tough this man is.
Old 09-26-2008, 06:14 PM
the burning and itching has stopped

Credits: 5,579
pinnerdude is starting to gain some momentum on DSF

lame list as it just active athletes, which none compare to the old timey guys like

Bobby Braun - former defenseman for the Toronto Maple Leafs. Broke his ankle during Game 6 of the 1964 Stanly Cup finals. He blocked a shot by Gordie Howe with his foot and was carted off the ice but came back to score the game winning goal.

Instead of having doctors look at his ankle and risk missing game 7 he hid out in his shed with his foot in a bucket of ice until game 7.

Somehow this guy toughed it out and didnt miss a single shift of Game 7.
Old 09-26-2008, 06:49 PM
The user formerly known as stupid*people*should*die

Credits: 3,234
buddha00man is starting to gain some momentum on DSF

pound for pound this i believe is the tuffest dude in the world!

Mixed martial arts record:
Wins: 24
Losses: 1
Draws: 0
No contests: 1

Last edited by buddha00man : 09-26-2008 at 06:54 PM.
Old 09-26-2008, 06:55 PM
MEGADOUCHE

What about King Kong?
Old 09-26-2008, 08:54 PM
Dicktowel.com

Credits: 88,490
beastley has much to be proud ofbeastley has much to be proud ofbeastley has much to be proud ofbeastley has much to be proud ofbeastley has much to be proud ofbeastley has much to be proud ofbeastley has much to be proud ofbeastley has much to be proud ofbeastley has much to be proud ofbeastley has much to be proud ofbeastley has much to be proud ofbeastley has much to be proud ofbeastley has much to be proud ofbeastley has much to be proud ofbeastley has much to be proud of

Code:

haha so racist, but funny.

he's not tough, just really good
Old 09-26-2008, 11:15 PM
Cactus Jack

Code:

classic. it's true, it's true!