View Single Post
Old 02-14-2017, 10:30 AM
The future is unwritten, but I'm illustrating it now.

Credits: 270,134
el_victorino is wasting away in Rep-o-rita-ville.el_victorino is wasting away in Rep-o-rita-ville.el_victorino is wasting away in Rep-o-rita-ville.el_victorino is wasting away in Rep-o-rita-ville.el_victorino is wasting away in Rep-o-rita-ville.el_victorino is wasting away in Rep-o-rita-ville.el_victorino is wasting away in Rep-o-rita-ville.el_victorino is wasting away in Rep-o-rita-ville.el_victorino is wasting away in Rep-o-rita-ville.
el_victorino is wasting away in Rep-o-rita-ville.el_victorino is wasting away in Rep-o-rita-ville.el_victorino is wasting away in Rep-o-rita-ville.el_victorino is wasting away in Rep-o-rita-ville.el_victorino is wasting away in Rep-o-rita-ville.el_victorino is wasting away in Rep-o-rita-ville.el_victorino is wasting away in Rep-o-rita-ville.el_victorino is wasting away in Rep-o-rita-ville.el_victorino is wasting away in Rep-o-rita-ville.el_victorino is wasting away in Rep-o-rita-ville.el_victorino is wasting away in Rep-o-rita-ville.el_victorino is wasting away in Rep-o-rita-ville.el_victorino is wasting away in Rep-o-rita-ville.el_victorino is wasting away in Rep-o-rita-ville.

The media focus when they did their earlier revamp was getting rid of the nudity, but what the media didn't note was that they also got rid of much of what made the magazine moderately relevant in an age where boobie pictures are freely available. Along with the nudity, they got rid of the cartoons, articles by big time writers, coverage of politics and technology, basically all the things that they were doing to continue to promote the idea of the "playboy lifestyle." All of those things cost money, and so they cut costs dramatically by getting rid of all those features, lowered ad rates, got some space in grocery stores and news stands, and ultimately, it didn't matter much at all. Nobody is buying Playboy for the boobs, but I have subscribed for 30 years for the articles and the cartoons, and that all went away with their last revamp. I seriously doubt they're going to bring on board an entirely new audience of younger consumers by reoffering tits. Or, for that matter, insightful articles about politics or any of the other stuff they got rid of. My guess is that the next step will be eliminating the hard product and just maintaining a web presence.