View Single Post
Old 06-30-2010, 09:31 PM
HIGH SCORE mothafucka!!

Credits: 41,979
gallow737 might win a People's Choice award
gallow737 might win a People's Choice awardgallow737 might win a People's Choice awardgallow737 might win a People's Choice awardgallow737 might win a People's Choice awardgallow737 might win a People's Choice awardgallow737 might win a People's Choice awardgallow737 might win a People's Choice awardgallow737 might win a People's Choice awardgallow737 might win a People's Choice awardgallow737 might win a People's Choice awardgallow737 might win a People's Choice awardgallow737 might win a People's Choice awardgallow737 might win a People's Choice award

That wasn't his decision, that's just him.

I'm actually having a discussion abnout his terribleness on another forum.

I just don't get how Hollywood can continue giving him work. I decided I hated him as soon as I saw him brand Unbreakable with his name all over it as if I should be impressed that he came up with it just because he came up with the Sixth Sense. He makes one successful movie with a big surprise ending and all of a sudden he can start tossing his name all over the adverts of his films like he's fucking Spielberg? Cocky son of a bitch. "A Steven Spielberg film"? That's a welcoming message, it's a strong selling point because people know he makes quality films. "An M. Night Shamaylan film"? That's a warning. I can't not see that movie fast enough

Sure enough, whatever movie of his that I decided to watch from that point on (Unbreakable, The Village), or stop watching in the middle of it (The Happening), I hated.

Also, and both of these stories are true, M. Night was "inspired"/stole the idea for The Sixth Sense from an episode of "Are You Afraid of the Dark" about a teenage boy who can't figure out why the girl he likes won't talk to him anymore. It revolves around a ring that never leaves his finger and the shocking twist ending is...you guessed it.

Also, and this is less known, but still true (it was told to me by my screenwriting teacher who worked for the Universal Pictures marketing department in the 90's)... the studio did heavy rewrites on the script, for which he was credited. That's why TSS is the only halfway decent movie he ever made. Every one after that was his own "auteur" creation.

My Movie Review Thread | Website