The Drunken stepFORUM - A place to discuss your worthless opinions

The Drunken stepFORUM - A place to discuss your worthless opinions (forum.drunkenstepfather.com/index.php)
-   I am - stepPOLLS (forum.drunkenstepfather.com/forumdisplay.php?f=19)
-   -   Musicians "selling out" by licensing their music (forum.drunkenstepfather.com/showthread.php?t=17253)

satan666 03-11-2009 03:22 PM

Musicians "selling out" by licensing their music

This could be in the music discussion section but i felt it would get more traction if posted here...
I got the idea from a story about Billy Corgan's change of heart regarding the licensing of his music. You can watch that HERE.

How do you feel about musicians licensing their music in films, television and commercial advertisements?

It has been done by so many artists to sell everything under the sun. So does it make you cringe to hear music that you like in the latest taco bell commercial?

1. It's "selling out" and when it happens, that artist is dead to me. I'll never buy another CD or go to another show.

2. I don't hate the artists that do it but i do lose respect for them.

3. I understand it... but i don't especially like it.

4. If they get paid, why not do it?

5. I'm glad when an artist that i like can make some extra money by selling a song for a tv commercial.

6. I don't care either way.

7. I'm just retarded.

Bam-Bam 03-11-2009 03:35 PM

It's their music, let them do what they want with it.

BleacherCreature420 03-11-2009 03:42 PM

hear "today" by the smashing pumpkins, a song i grew up with, on an ad for an Amex.........i almost broke my tv...........it really bothered me

sometimes is pisses me off more than other times........song/artist dependent i guess

BleacherCreature420 03-11-2009 03:45 PM

^^^^^^^^

if i scrolled down 5 more on the main page, Satan has already made a post about this exact SP incident, and wow that quote from '04 drives it home. I am guessing that is why you started this thread? I stand firm at choice 3

tlock 03-11-2009 05:33 PM

Code:

Content, Pictures  and Download links visible to registered users only.

REGISTER NOW to access all areas that are invisible to non-members.

agreed, but i think they can over commercialize their songs/music.

thermos 03-12-2009 07:02 AM

fascinating topic.....I voted #3.

my knee-jerk reaction is like bleach's....I remember the Led Zep/Cadillac commercials (I think?) and I wanted to do an angry misty mountain hop on the gigantic hood of my neighbor's seville for weeks.

but....I can't begrudge getting paper. I mean, I bitch at professional athelete's salaries too....but at EVERY annual review at my work....I lie about about my accomplishments and whine for more $$$ too.

It's easy to be a music lover and romanticize the importance/value/meaning of songs.....but they don't belong to us.

troup 03-13-2009 12:16 PM

I like it when they find some obscure little band and give the band probably the best marketing coverage they could dream of. But when its an already developed band who are a brand in their own right it feels dirty.

skywalker 03-13-2009 12:39 PM

Code:

Content, Pictures  and Download links visible to registered users only.

REGISTER NOW to access all areas that are invisible to non-members.

I agree.
If Led Zeppelin doesn't care if there song is in a Cadillac commercial then neither do I.
Besides with more and more people like us downloading music for free they gotta get paid somehow. I say take it when you can get it.
I don't understand why it bothers people.

strommsarnac 03-13-2009 11:39 PM

Isn't most of that because the studio still has the rights and not the musician themselves?

serafina 03-14-2009 12:59 AM

I can't fault the fools for wanting as much money as they can get their hands on. Fuck legitimacy.