The Drunken stepFORUM - A place to discuss your worthless opinions

The Drunken stepFORUM - A place to discuss your worthless opinions (forum.drunkenstepfather.com/index.php)
-   I am - Your Home Team Sucks (forum.drunkenstepfather.com/forumdisplay.php?f=25)
-   -   Mens' Olympic Swimming 4 x 100 relay (forum.drunkenstepfather.com/showthread.php?t=8738)

Geaux Saints 08-11-2008 07:18 PM

Mens' Olympic Swimming 4 x 100 relay

Sorry if this has been posted somewhere else, but....

If you did not see the men's 4 x 100 swimming relay, it was absolutely incredible!!! The French were highly favored to win and even boasted by saying "they were going to smash the Americans...that's what they were here (at the Olympics) for." Here's the video at nbcolympics.com

http://www.nbcolympics.com/video/pla...co de=sportsw

Who else saw it and what were your reactions? My wife and I were saying on that last lap "It's over" and then when the U.S. started catching up we were yelling "Come on!" If you watch the video, listen how wild the crowd gets the last 25-50m of the race. The commentators had all but given the French the gold until the last 25 m and then they started going crazy. The U.S. won by 8 hundreths of a second and shattered the world record by 4 seconds!

Trips 08-11-2008 07:28 PM

Anything that puts the frogs in their place.

But seriously, a little humility goes a long way. I love it when people that take things to a personal level get their asses' handed to them.

Geaux Saints 08-11-2008 07:30 PM

Code:

Content, Pictures  and Download links visible to registered users only.

REGISTER NOW to access all areas that are invisible to non-members.

Amen, my brother! The look on the Frenchies faces when they lost was, as MasterCard would say, PRICELESS!!!!

buddha00man 08-11-2008 07:58 PM

if you werent on the edge of your seat & pumped up after that victory for the US, theres nothing that will do it for ya

Geaux Saints 08-11-2008 08:07 PM

Code:

Totally agree. Never thought I would get that excited watching swimming.

effjay 08-11-2008 08:25 PM

My lady was a swimmer and high school and I was pretty sure I was never going to get into it, but man oh man! That was SUCH an exciting sporting event. That's a pretty huge moment in all of sports history, not just Olympics!

lastlineofd 08-11-2008 08:30 PM

That was a hell of a finish... even I was cheering at the end. Especially since that French fucker (the anchor who lost) said something along the lines of, "we came here to crush the United States" prior to the race.

Geaux Saints 08-11-2008 09:10 PM

Code:

Loved it! I strongly encourage anyone who hasn't seen it to click on the link and watch the video. The actual race is about 3 mins 8 secs, but the celebration and replays are definately worth a view as well.

strommsarnac 08-11-2008 10:01 PM

Code:

So that means the French also beat the World Record.

I think it's great that we (America) got the gold and WR, but we didn't stomp anyone. 8/100's of a second was the length of a hand. If the French swimmer hadn't swung his right arm forward and just reached with his left, he'd have touched first.

Almost, I'd say we got lucky.

I guess with all the posts I've seen on many forums, I expected we beat them by a few seconds. There was FIVE teams faster than the last world record.

lastlineofd 08-11-2008 10:06 PM

All the world records got shattered across many swims due to new suit technology as well as many other factors... the magnitude of the win is increased due to it keeping Phelp's dream for 8 golds alive, the French trashtalking prior to and the fact that it was come from behind at the last split second... it was a hell of a comeback, the French anchor just couldn't hold on and the American's stole the medal... all together pretty fuckin impressive.