The Drunken stepFORUM - A place to discuss your worthless opinions

The Drunken stepFORUM - A place to discuss your worthless opinions (forum.drunkenstepfather.com/index.php)
-   I am - Music Discussion (forum.drunkenstepfather.com/forumdisplay.php?f=23)
-   -   Bands of the 80's that made it (forum.drunkenstepfather.com/showthread.php?t=7989)

DSF Guest 8 07-23-2008 11:03 AM

Bands of the 80's that made it

Name your favorite band - ONLY NAME ONE - that got their break in the 80's and made it - qualification's at least 3 successful CD's.

Motley Crue is mine. They rocked then and they still kick ass now. Except for the time when John Corabi was lead singing (Crue sucked ass then), I have followed and continue to follow them.

SexyLion 07-23-2008 11:07 AM

U2...might be the most successful band to come out of the 80's

roccostiff 07-23-2008 01:53 PM

I would say Metallica but they havent had a good album since the black one. I would have to agree with Motley Crue. They had some bad times but overall are still a great band. I actually liked the self -titled one without Vince Neil.

Govols 07-23-2008 01:59 PM

R.E.M also qualifies as one of the most successful bands from the
80's

BlackCrypt 07-23-2008 05:01 PM

Poison
"Look What The Cat Dragged In", "Open Up and Say ......AAhhh" and "Flesh and Blood"

Tesla
"Mechanical Renasonce" "Great Radio Controversy" and "Psychotic Supper"

Def Leppard - All albums up to "Hysteria"

All of those are still touring too.

There are plenty more, but don't feel like typing right now.

Might do more later.

And, Pen, MC94 kicks ass, as long as you don't think of it as a Moltey Album. Crabbi did some good stuff with Bruce Kulick in Union too.

scampr 07-23-2008 05:25 PM

well I don't actually have one favorite band

but an obvious 80s band who made it fuckin huge is Bon Jovi.

Shasturbator 07-24-2008 01:39 PM

do the Beastie Boys qualify?

kt2008 07-24-2008 03:49 PM

Code:

Content, Pictures  and Download links visible to registered users only.

REGISTER NOW to access all areas that are invisible to non-members.

hey BC, you happen to have the union stuff?,i've never heard

scampr 07-24-2008 04:56 PM

checkin...

Code:

Not sure I have everything. Give me a minute

Edit:

None currently ripped but I know I have them. I'll get it loaded for ya.

BlackCrypt 07-24-2008 05:06 PM

I will in a while. Once I posted that, I went to look for Blue Room, and forgot I lost it in the crash.

kt2008 07-24-2008 05:20 PM

thanks scampr,could bring the 80's rock thread back to life with it

scampr 07-24-2008 06:07 PM

I will

Code:

Been going thru the stacks again. But Union was post 80s so I wouldn't put them in there probably.

I like putting stuff in there that people don't remember as well too so it takes longer to find stuff and then when I do [like Saxon] sometimes I just start a new thread. Hopefully you and NeverseeN and some of the other regulars will find some stuff to put in there soon too!

kt2008 07-24-2008 06:19 PM

i've posted alot of stuff in there that's post-80's,i think of it more as the style of music than the year it came out.i was gonna throw a couple Metal Church in there the other day,then just decided to give them their own thread.i'll dig some stuff up soon.Neverseen is living up to his name,i haven't seen him around in a while

scampr 07-24-2008 06:22 PM

Pendragon

So what counts exactly?

Garth Brooks has sold more records than just about anyone but the Beatles and Elvis.
His first album came out in 89 and his music is certainly 80s-poprock influenced country.

kt2008 07-24-2008 06:26 PM

guess i never did answer the question in here...don't have a favorite but i'd have to say Megadeth,Queensryche,Dokken to name a few

BlackCrypt 07-24-2008 06:37 PM

I have got the Union CD's

Starting the upload now.

Would you like them as separate downloads, or both albums in one link?

kt2008 07-24-2008 06:58 PM

Code:

whatever easiest for you,i'll probably dl both either way

BlackCrypt 07-24-2008 07:41 PM

Code:

http://drunkenstepfather.com/forum/s...6061#post86061

buddha00man 07-24-2008 07:50 PM

does van hagar count??

what of a band that had some 70's success but exploded in the 80's like aerosmith,heart etc

anyway mine would be Prince :cool:

scampr 07-24-2008 07:58 PM

those bands had a ton of success in the 70s

Code:

You have to keep the music industry situation in perspective too. FOr the 70s, Aerosmith was a big fuckin deal. Then the found the needle and the spoon. There was a lull in the early 80s but they were big time headliners in the 70s. You can say the same about Kiss, Boston, Van Halen etc...

What happened is the entertainment industry changed especially with the advent of MTV. So our perception of music success changed. But for what was available at the time Aerosmith had it all at their fingertips. I'd say Heart didn't do too shabby either.

buddha00man 07-24-2008 08:07 PM

Code:

yes i totally agree of course i knew of all the bands from the 70's but i was a young'n so didnt pay too much attention to them in the 70's but of course they were all over the radio in the 80's so it would almost appear that the 70's bands had more success in the 80's rather than in the 70's...but your right w/ the intro of mtv & the music industry changing its hard to factor which decade some of these bands had more success in.

gonna switch my response to....tom petty :D

DSF Guest 8 07-24-2008 08:21 PM

I think Scampr had the same idea about this as I do...

Hey guys... as far as what counts it is just opinion. I mean look at Aerosmith. They were big in the 70's then the early/mid 80's they fell off the map. Then they came storming back with Permanent Vacation. Do they qualify? Maybe. In my opinion the CD's following PV probably wouldn't have happened had not PV went stellar so they count IMO.

Beastie Boys with License to Ill absolutely qualify. Bon Jovi, Def Leppard, Poison, Ratt, GnR, and of course Motley Crue all qualify IMO. Cinderella does not because they only had success with Long Cold Winter after Night Songs and 2 CD's does not make a band big. It makes them ok is all - just above one hit wonder status.

Again IMO I think just because a band was successful in one era doesn't make them a success in the 80's UNLESS they had a CD that propelled them into the 90's-00's. Before the 80's doesn't count what they did during the 80's and after is what I think counts.

Anywayz that is my thoughts.

-Pen

trondi 07-31-2008 10:01 PM

U2

Obviously.:)

mhump23 08-01-2008 12:31 AM

Not my faves but how about Duran Duran. They were everywhere in the 80's.

badmedicine09 08-01-2008 03:21 PM

Nine Inch Nails

Pretty Hate Machine debuted in 1989, so it counts.

binary_jester 08-10-2008 11:56 AM

How about The Cure?

So Imaginary Boys was released in 1979. 13 studio albums (including the upcoming one) and, I assume, still touring.